Merry Christmas! - Now let's fight!

By Meera Dolasia on December 30, 2007

While most people, sit back and relax after a big Christmas meal, residents of Peru like to work it off with a friendly fistfight. The traditional festival known as Takanakuy or 'fighter' starts with dancing and a religious procession.

After that instead of exchanging gifts, people exchange fistfights. These bare-knuckled, free kicking fights are supervised by local government officials and are meant to allow participants to let our all their pent (built) up anger in a safe environment. The best part is, there is no age or gender limitation - Kids, men and women of all ages can join in the fun.

So if Santa forgot to bring you that special toy on your list, go ahead - take a flight to Peru and go at it!

Have fun watching the video of this quirky and fun festival!

• sherlockcutepup
    sherlockcutepupWednesday, February 18, 2015 at 2:20 pm
    people are making fun of my culture! I am very sad. :( :'( (sniff,sniff)
    • kdances
      kdancesWednesday, February 18, 2015 at 12:40 pm
      omg thats terrible
      • firemario
        firemarioTuesday, February 17, 2015 at 4:13 pm
        my Spanish teacher is from peru
        • sherlockcutepup
          sherlockcutepupWednesday, February 18, 2015 at 2:20 pm
          really!?!?!?
        • sherlockcutepup
          sherlockcutepupTuesday, February 17, 2015 at 3:58 pm
          It takes 5 hours to get there. and I should know, I.WENT.THERE.
          • yascoleman
            yascolemanTuesday, December 23, 2014 at 4:28 pm
            I love fighting
            • TsukishimaMonday, December 22, 2014 at 1:12 pm
              Ah, fighting is the BEST stress reliever ever.
              • happypug12
                happypug12Tuesday, December 23, 2014 at 1:02 pm
                Are you sure that it's a stress RELIEVER? Fighting doesn't really sound ideal for the job. Fighting probably just stresses you out more; although exercising and reading the Bible help relive you the most.
                • firemario
                  firemarioTuesday, February 17, 2015 at 4:15 pm
                  does not even sound like anything people should do to get exercise. it is worst
                • nikukyu
                  nikukyuMonday, December 22, 2014 at 6:36 pm
                  Umm okay if you say so
                • girlcool
                  girlcoolMonday, December 22, 2014 at 12:51 pm
                  Who fights on Christmas that is just so wrong because CHRISTMAS IS SUPPOST TO BE PEACFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  • kdances
                    kdancesWednesday, February 18, 2015 at 12:43 pm
                    i agree with you thats terrible whats wrong with these people?????? :o
                  • gabita
                    gabitaSunday, December 21, 2014 at 3:54 pm
                    I Know I don't wanna. I would scream and run away!!!!!!
                    • hollyisawsome
                      hollyisawsomeFriday, December 19, 2014 at 12:57 pm
                      wow
                      • happypug12
                        happypug12Thursday, December 18, 2014 at 1:44 pm
                        Sounds fun. And dangerous. *Gulp*
                        • nikukyu
                          nikukyuThursday, December 18, 2014 at 11:26 pm
                          I know I dont wanna. I would scream and run away!
                          • happypug12
                            happypug12Friday, December 19, 2014 at 10:32 am
                            What if someone started chasing you? Well, you could probably get them to back off by saying, "Back off. I know Kung Fu!" : )
                            • nikukyu
                              nikukyuFriday, December 19, 2014 at 4:14 pm
                              Only in my dream... I'm a scaredly-cat! I'll probably say, "Heeeeeelp we can work it out together you know! Fight someone ur own size!" I'm small for my age:( Maybe you're taller than me, happypug, I think you mentioned that you're tall in a article.
                              • happypug12
                                happypug12Saturday, December 20, 2014 at 4:34 am
                                Well, I'm tall for my age. I'm in 5th grade.
                                • awesomesydney
                                  awesomesydneySunday, December 21, 2014 at 7:00 pm
                                  I'm pretty puny for my age... I'm in 4th grade people!!! Why am I so SHORT!?
                                  • awesomesydney
                                    awesomesydneySunday, December 21, 2014 at 7:01 pm
                                    I'm like 4 foot 6!!!
                                    • frankiebaby
                                      frankiebabyMonday, December 22, 2014 at 6:58 am
                                      For my elementary school that I used to go to, I was like 4 foot 5, when i was in fourth grade, and I'm a boy!! I am in sixth grade now, and I'm still only like 4 foot 9!