Merry Christmas! - Now let's fight!

By Meera Dolasia on December 30, 2007

While most people, sit back and relax after a big Christmas meal, residents of Peru like to work it off with a friendly fistfight. The traditional festival known as Takanakuy or 'fighter' starts with dancing and a religious procession.

After that instead of exchanging gifts, people exchange fistfights. These bare-knuckled, free kicking fights are supervised by local government officials and are meant to allow participants to let our all their pent (built) up anger in a safe environment. The best part is, there is no age or gender limitation - Kids, men and women of all ages can join in the fun.

So if Santa forgot to bring you that special toy on your list, go ahead - take a flight to Peru and go at it!

Have fun watching the video of this quirky and fun festival!

• yascoleman
    yascolemanTuesday, December 23, 2014 at 4:28 pm
    I love fighting
    • TsukishimaMonday, December 22, 2014 at 1:12 pm
      Ah, fighting is the BEST stress reliever ever.
      • happypug12
        happypug12Tuesday, December 23, 2014 at 1:02 pm
        Are you sure that it's a stress RELIEVER? Fighting doesn't really sound ideal for the job. Fighting probably just stresses you out more; although exercising and reading the Bible help relive you the most.
        • nikukyu
          nikukyuMonday, December 22, 2014 at 6:36 pm
          Umm okay if you say so
        • girlcool
          girlcoolMonday, December 22, 2014 at 12:51 pm
          Who fights on Christmas that is just so wrong because CHRISTMAS IS SUPPOST TO BE PEACFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
          • gabita
            gabitaSunday, December 21, 2014 at 3:54 pm
            I Know I don't wanna. I would scream and run away!!!!!!
            • hollyisawsome
              hollyisawsomeFriday, December 19, 2014 at 12:57 pm
              wow
              • happypug12
                happypug12Thursday, December 18, 2014 at 1:44 pm
                Sounds fun. And dangerous. *Gulp*
                • nikukyu
                  nikukyuThursday, December 18, 2014 at 11:26 pm
                  I know I dont wanna. I would scream and run away!
                  • happypug12
                    happypug12Friday, December 19, 2014 at 10:32 am
                    What if someone started chasing you? Well, you could probably get them to back off by saying, "Back off. I know Kung Fu!" : )
                    • nikukyu
                      nikukyuFriday, December 19, 2014 at 4:14 pm
                      Only in my dream... I'm a scaredly-cat! I'll probably say, "Heeeeeelp we can work it out together you know! Fight someone ur own size!" I'm small for my age:( Maybe you're taller than me, happypug, I think you mentioned that you're tall in a article.
                      • happypug12
                        happypug12Saturday, December 20, 2014 at 4:34 am
                        Well, I'm tall for my age. I'm in 5th grade.
                        • awesomesydney
                          awesomesydneySunday, December 21, 2014 at 7:00 pm
                          I'm pretty puny for my age... I'm in 4th grade people!!! Why am I so SHORT!?
                          • awesomesydney
                            awesomesydneySunday, December 21, 2014 at 7:01 pm
                            I'm like 4 foot 6!!!
                            • frankiebaby
                              frankiebabyMonday, December 22, 2014 at 6:58 am
                              For my elementary school that I used to go to, I was like 4 foot 5, when i was in fourth grade, and I'm a boy!! I am in sixth grade now, and I'm still only like 4 foot 9!
                • lkfmajasThursday, December 4, 2014 at 4:58 pm
                  Hmm. Strange.
                  • lelianaMonday, March 24, 2014 at 3:30 pm
                    not cool but cool did any of you see the new barbie movie the pearl princess i did when i went to Ohio and it was so good i would tell you to watch it because i actually i watched all of the barbie movies i know it was out of the topic but i am just out of my mind*!
                    • jedriel55
                      jedriel55Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 7:59 am
                      that is awsome
                      • jedriel55
                        jedriel55Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 7:55 am
                        awsome i am going to go there min yeah dudu