Merry Christmas! - Now let's fight!

By Meera Dolasia on December 30, 2007

While most people, sit back and relax after a big Christmas meal, residents of Peru like to work it off with a friendly fistfight. The traditional festival known as Takanakuy or 'fighter' starts with dancing and a religious procession.

After that instead of exchanging gifts, people exchange fistfights. These bare-knuckled, free kicking fights are supervised by local government officials and are meant to allow participants to let our all their pent (built) up anger in a safe environment. The best part is, there is no age or gender limitation - Kids, men and women of all ages can join in the fun.

So if Santa forgot to bring you that special toy on your list, go ahead - take a flight to Peru and go at it!

Have fun watching the video of this quirky and fun festival!

• gabita
    gabitaSunday, December 21, 2014 at 3:54 pm
    I Know I don't wanna. I would scream and run away!!!!!!
    • ajawsome
      ajawsomeFriday, December 19, 2014 at 12:57 pm
      wow
      • happypug12
        happypug12Thursday, December 18, 2014 at 1:44 pm
        Sounds fun. And dangerous. *Gulp*
        • nikukyu
          nikukyuThursday, December 18, 2014 at 11:26 pm
          I know I dont wanna. I would scream and run away!
          • happypug12
            happypug12Friday, December 19, 2014 at 10:32 am
            What if someone started chasing you? Well, you could probably get them to back off by saying, "Back off. I know Kung Fu!" : )
            • nikukyu
              nikukyuFriday, December 19, 2014 at 4:14 pm
              Only in my dream... I'm a scaredly-cat! I'll probably say, "Heeeeeelp we can work it out together you know! Fight someone ur own size!" I'm small for my age:( Maybe you're taller than me, happypug, I think you mentioned that you're tall in a article.
              • happypug12
                happypug12Saturday, December 20, 2014 at 4:34 am
                Well, I'm tall for my age. I'm in 5th grade.
                • awesomesydney
                  awesomesydneySunday, December 21, 2014 at 7:00 pm
                  I'm pretty puny for my age... I'm in 4th grade people!!! Why am I so SHORT!?
                  • awesomesydney
                    awesomesydneySunday, December 21, 2014 at 7:01 pm
                    I'm like 4 foot 6!!!
                    • frankiebaby
                      frankiebabyMonday, December 22, 2014 at 6:58 am
                      For my elementary school that I used to go to, I was like 4 foot 5, when i was in fourth grade, and I'm a boy!! I am in sixth grade now, and I'm still only like 4 foot 9!
        • lkfmajasThursday, December 4, 2014 at 4:58 pm
          Hmm. Strange.
          • lelianaMonday, March 24, 2014 at 3:30 pm
            not cool but cool did any of you see the new barbie movie the pearl princess i did when i went to Ohio and it was so good i would tell you to watch it because i actually i watched all of the barbie movies i know it was out of the topic but i am just out of my mind*!
            • jedriel55
              jedriel55Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 7:59 am
              that is awsome
              • jedriel55
                jedriel55Tuesday, January 7, 2014 at 7:55 am
                awsome i am going to go there min yeah dudu
                • dsnyder619
                  dsnyder619Monday, March 18, 2013 at 7:18 am
                  This is awesome but bad. I LOVE IT!
                  • fghjklloooiuytrMonday, March 18, 2013 at 6:13 am
                    that is awsome
                    • shock12
                      shock12Tuesday, March 12, 2013 at 9:12 pm
                      wow, they want to fight?

Latest Comments

pineapplelover

That is very cool nikukyu. I've ...
                      Japan's Butter Scarcity Causes T...

awesomesydney

I'm pretty puny for my age... I'...
                      Merry Christmas! - Now let's fight!