She Is One Bright Cookie!

By Meera Dolasia on January 22, 2009

Word Search

She types 80-110 words a minute, reads two to three books a day, teaches poetry at an elementary school, has published two books and is working on four more - And she is only 11-years old. Meet Adora Svitak, possibly one of the smartest kids in the world!

Described as a tiny literary giant, Adora started to read when she was just three years old, which she thought was pretty normal. When she realized it wasn't, she became very passionate about teaching other aspiring writers her strategies and published a book - The Flying Fingers, and she had just turned seven!

This was the same year that Adora also began her teaching career. Reputed to be the youngest paid teacher in the world, she has traveled and lectured at over 300 schools world-wide, including China , Hong Kong and even the United Kingdom . When she is not globe-trotting she gives video conferences to teachers and children, charging $300 for a 50-minute class. And that is not all - she is even more popular in the corporate adult world. A recent lecture to educators and business people about the impact of technology on the creative process at a Microsoft conference, earned her a whopping $10,000USD!

In case you are wondering when this little genius goes to school - she doesn't. She has been home-schooled by her mother since she was born, so has a pretty flexible school schedule.

Adora, who is currently working on her first full-length novel, Yank in Disguise and an animated computer program to help develop children's speaking and reading skills - says she wants to be a educator, poet and humanitarian , when she grows up. Since she seems to have already accomplished the first two with such ease, we look forward to hearing about her humanitarian efforts. To read more about this amazing girl check out her website www.adorasvitak.com

Sources: Wikipedia.org, telegraph.co.uk

• MeFriday, November 7, 2014 at 11:26 am
    I like writing stories, poetry, and typing, too. We should be friends :) Also, right now she is only one year older than I am.
    • RightHereThursday, April 3, 2014 at 8:09 am
      I wish I were that smart
      • angelmjohn
        angelmjohnTuesday, April 1, 2014 at 8:07 pm
        She is one smart cookie
        • koderrose
          koderroseMonday, October 28, 2013 at 7:42 pm
          I still have the handwriting of a kindergardener.... :( She's cool
          • otter
            otterMonday, October 28, 2013 at 3:12 pm
            Holy cow! I didn't learn to read at THREE! It is amazing that she started teaching at SEVEN! When is that book coming out?
            • hyper_monkey
              hyper_monkeyTuesday, April 30, 2013 at 3:41 pm
              Actually, I started to read at age two. But I don't really think my writing skills were very developed at seven. I am thoroughly impressed. Seriously, that's nuts.
              • lollipopSunday, April 28, 2013 at 3:01 pm
                I learned howto read at 3 to! I am helping someone to write a book and I am only 9 years old.!
                • EmilyFriday, February 22, 2013 at 8:51 am
                  WOAH. Mind blowing!!!
                  • poisonivy
                    poisonivyTuesday, October 16, 2012 at 4:58 pm
                    she is soooooo smart! p.s. hi cookiemonster95.
                    • cookiemonster95