She Is One Bright Cookie!

By Meera Dolasia on January 22, 2009

Word Search

She types 80-110 words a minute, reads two to three books a day, teaches poetry at an elementary school, has published two books and is working on four more - And she is only 11-years old. Meet Adora Svitak, possibly one of the smartest kids in the world!

Described as a tiny literary giant, Adora started to read when she was just three years old, which she thought was pretty normal. When she realized it wasn't, she became very passionate about teaching other aspiring writers her strategies and published a book - The Flying Fingers, and she had just turned seven!

This was the same year that Adora also began her teaching career. Reputed to be the youngest paid teacher in the world, she has traveled and lectured at over 300 schools world-wide, including China , Hong Kong and even the United Kingdom . When she is not globe-trotting she gives video conferences to teachers and children, charging $300 for a 50-minute class. And that is not all - she is even more popular in the corporate adult world. A recent lecture to educators and business people about the impact of technology on the creative process at a Microsoft conference, earned her a whopping $10,000USD!

In case you are wondering when this little genius goes to school - she doesn't. She has been home-schooled by her mother since she was born, so has a pretty flexible school schedule.

Adora, who is currently working on her first full-length novel, Yank in Disguise and an animated computer program to help develop children's speaking and reading skills - says she wants to be a educator, poet and humanitarian , when she grows up. Since she seems to have already accomplished the first two with such ease, we look forward to hearing about her humanitarian efforts. To read more about this amazing girl check out her website

VocabularyPlay Game

• sgefan01
    sgefan01Sunday, November 22, 2015 at 5:16 pm
    I self published two books (literally, with hardcover and everything) and working on a novel. I do believe she can do this
    • harrypotterfan1
      harrypotterfan1Sunday, November 22, 2015 at 4:15 pm
      Wow! Great Work!
      • jaiden1207
        jaiden1207Thursday, April 23, 2015 at 6:49 am
        you go girl. <3 <3 <3
        • tree300
          tree300Friday, April 17, 2015 at 8:43 am
          I dont belive she can do all that!
          • felicisowl
            felicisowlSunday, May 10, 2015 at 10:17 am
            That's kind of mean, because I self-published a book as well, and she is a GENIUS, so yes, I do believe she can do all of that. Please try to research before you say something.
          • tree300
            tree300Friday, April 17, 2015 at 8:43 am
            Yeah right!
            • tydWednesday, March 25, 2015 at 11:57 am
              Wow that's cool. I wish I can be that smart
              • mandm2000
                mandm2000Friday, February 20, 2015 at 6:32 pm
                A girl in my class can type almost 110 words per minute and she is 12 I can do 68
                • crystalmori
                  crystalmoriSaturday, February 21, 2015 at 8:57 pm
                  Those are both amazing numbers!
                • diamondkid
                  diamondkidFriday, February 20, 2015 at 1:59 pm
                  • crystalmori
                    crystalmoriThursday, February 19, 2015 at 8:45 pm
                    This kind of reminds me of the book Matilda by Roald Dahl.
                    • bigmelo
                      bigmeloFriday, February 20, 2015 at 10:52 am
                      I know, right? I loved that book so much, that I watched the movie, too! :D
                      • nikukyu
                        nikukyuFriday, February 20, 2015 at 6:02 pm
                        I personally think the book was much better...
                        • crystalmori
                          crystalmoriSaturday, February 21, 2015 at 9:01 pm
                          Yeah, I like how it gets into Matilda's mindset a little more. I felt like the movie turned her into too much of a typical Disney heroine, if you know what I mean. Don't get me wrong, I like Disney, but I also think it would've been nice to retain her original personality. She certainly had a very unusual attitude. The only thing I've never really liked about Roald Dahl was that he made several characters seem mean without good reason, and believe me, there is always a reason.
                        • crystalmori
                          crystalmoriFriday, February 20, 2015 at 3:46 pm
                          I don't think I ever saw the full movie, but I know I watched part of it. I really liked it, even though it was kinda different from the book.
                      • panda01
                        panda01Thursday, February 19, 2015 at 2:49 pm
                        Wow im so happy for her im sure she will go far in life later on and become a good person and be famous!!