Usain 'Lightning' Bolt Strikes Again!

By Meera Dolasia on August 16, 2009

Word Search

A relatively unknown Jamaican sprinter called Usain Bolt took the world by storm at the summer Beijing Olympics, when he ran the 100 meter sprint in 9.69 seconds - not only setting a new world record but becoming the first human to run the distance under 9.7 seconds without a significant tailwind.

The best part was, he made it look really easy and started to celebrate his victory 10 meters before he even got to the finish line - leaving fans questioning how fast he could have been, had he run the entire distance at his whiz speed.

The 23-year old sprinter, appropriately named 'Lightning Bolt', put that question to rest this afternoon at the World Championships in Berlin. Running the full 100 meters, he completed the distance in 9.58 seconds, shaving off a whopping 0.11 seconds off his previous time.

Of course, Bolt being the fun-loving guy he is, did celebrate with a lot of pomp once he was done - He pranced around the stadium and even did a jig with fellow Jamaican sprinter, Asafa Powell, who took home the bronze medal.

Bolt who accomplished his latest feat at the same stadium where legendary track star Jesse Owens first made his mark in 1936, also holds the world record for the 200 meters and along with his teammates, the 4X100 meters relay record. He is also the first person to win all three events at the Olympics since Carl Lewis in 1984.

Ironically, even though Bolt was the fastest runner in school by the time he was 12, his primary sport was cricket. It was not until he entered high school, that his cricket coach noticing his speed on the pitch, encouraged him to explore track - and the rest as they say is history.

Bolt's next challenge? To run the 100 meters in 9.50 seconds! We have no doubt he will be able to do that or better!

sources:bbc.co.uk,wikipedia.org,cnninternational.org

VocabularyPlay Game

significant
  • funtime
    funtimeSaturday, July 2, 2016 at 9:01 am
    Usain Bolt is truly lucky to be that fast!
    • hasithperera
      hasithpereraFriday, December 25, 2015 at 1:26 am
      Wow, usain bolt is very fast, He is the best person I have ever seen.I think he is like a cheetah. I describe usain bolt as a cheetah because he is a very fast runner and he is also famous. cheetah is also very fast and they are famous. Usain bolt ran 100 meters in just 9.69 seconds and that is so fast and now he is a very famous athlete. Now he is also known as the "lightning bolt".
      • AnonymousTuesday, March 3, 2015 at 5:03 am
        I think he should be able to reach his goal of 9.5 seconds
        • diamondkid
          diamondkidSaturday, February 21, 2015 at 1:48 pm
          He's fast!
          • turtlenicole
            turtlenicoleFriday, December 19, 2014 at 7:33 pm
            I hope he reaches his goal of 9.5 seconds! He's really fast:)
            • bibliophile
              bibliophileMonday, December 15, 2014 at 4:05 pm
              Cool... running is awesome!!!
              • nikukyu
                nikukyuMonday, December 15, 2014 at 1:41 am
                It would be so awesome to be able to run that fast... Okay, I'm a fast runner, but that's NOTHIN' compared to him!
                • happypug12
                  happypug12Monday, December 15, 2014 at 8:33 am
                  You like to run, nikukyu? Me too! I'm a pretty fast runner, but I don't want to brag. ; )
                  • nikukyu
                    nikukyuMonday, December 15, 2014 at 9:07 pm
                    I'm the fastest girl in my class! And in the grade I think I would be in the 4th,5th,or 6th! ( in the girls. The boys are so fast! ) it's awesome that ur a fast runner! I wish we could race! I really want to meet u!
                    • peacheslarue
                      peacheslarueThursday, December 18, 2014 at 4:33 pm
                      Running is so fun!!!! My dad won the state championship but his parents didnt want him to continue! Im on the track team at my school!
                      • frankiebaby
                        frankiebabyThursday, December 18, 2014 at 4:29 pm
                        I won third place for a four mile run. Are you guys good at long distance?
                        • nikukyu
                          nikukyuThursday, December 18, 2014 at 11:23 pm
                          Not sure... But I do like short distance better tho.
                          • ravermccare23
                            ravermccare23Thursday, December 25, 2014 at 6:27 am
                            I love long distance! probably because I suck at short distance, because for whatever reason I actually run a faster mile, in two miles, than one mile
                  • RdvfThursday, December 11, 2014 at 9:08 am
                    Omg
                    • girl32Thursday, December 11, 2014 at 5:27 am
                      cool
                      • girl32Thursday, December 11, 2014 at 5:27 am
                        wow cool. he looks like he is having fun