The Earthquake In Haiti

By Meera Dolasia on January 15, 2010

Word Search

For those of us who living in California, earthquakes are a common occurence. However, thanks to stringent building codes and the fact that we can afford to abide by them, we are prepared, at least for the minor shakes.

Despite that, a 7.0 magnitude shake (equivalent to half a million tons of high explosives) would effect us drastically - Hence you can only imagine what it did to a country like Haiti, where sixty five percent of the population earns less than $2.50USD a day, and lives in flimsy housing.

The earthquake, epicentered about ten miles southwest of Haiti's capital, Port-Au-Prince, rocked the island a few minutes before 5 pm, on Tuesday afternoon. While there were some sketchy reports of the damage, a clear picture was difficult to glean, because most communication from the country was lost for a while.

A clearer picture has now emerged, and as expected, the news is devastating. While accurate estimates are difficult, since a lot of people are still unaccounted for, over 50,000 people are known to have perished. For the people who survived, there is no food, water or shelter. There are reports of thousands of people huddling together in parks, either because they have no place to live or, are too afraid to go home.

However, the worst part is that over 2 million children have been either orphaned or have no contact with their family members and are now wandering around the streets all alone! Even worse is the fact that a lot of these kids get only one meal a day - at school, and with most schools destroyed, they may have nowhere to turn for food!

While we can't really do anything about what has happened, we can all pitch in to help the children and other people to rebuild their lives, no matter how young we are. Here are a few suggestions:

Earn some money by doing some extra chores for your parents, neighbors and friends or setting up a lemonade (or hot chocolate) stand.

Talk to your parents and obtain their support in organizing a neighborhood bake sale

Brainstorm with your teachers and class and see if you can set up a fund-raising effort at your school.

Here is our pledge - Come up with other great ideas on how to raise money to help the people of Haiti by adding your comments below - We will donate $1.00USD for every idea we get in the next two weeks up to a maximum of $200USD - So get going - tell your friends, neighbors and teachers to write in too, and help us reach our goal ASAP. Remember we can all make a difference!
sources:guardian.co.uk, dailymail.co.uk

• pewdiepiefan300Tuesday, October 14, 2014 at 1:19 pm
    I feel bad for the people who died....
    • group hugSunday, October 5, 2014 at 12:00 pm
      and my uncle met the president of Haiti so lucky
      • group hugSunday, October 5, 2014 at 11:58 am
        I wish I wish I could save my auntie I never met her
        • MC JennySunday, June 15, 2014 at 4:17 pm
          please use my idea I want people in my country to live!!!!!!
          • MC JennySunday, June 15, 2014 at 4:15 pm
            Here is my idea how about we send 90 or 50 airplanes or trucks of food, toys, clothes ,and sheets to Haiti so people can survive.
            • aletz2004Monday, June 2, 2014 at 5:11 pm
              This is so bad!! Any way it helped me in my geography homework
              • liamboom0322
                liamboom0322Thursday, March 27, 2014 at 4:51 pm
                This is so sad ! All those poor people. Everything lost of theirs. Torn from from families . Probably felt sad , lonely, scared and hungry . Most Americans are so lucky
                • nice to michuTuesday, March 25, 2014 at 12:05 pm
                  I feel really sorry for them but I guess now its happened and we have to focus on other vountries and their problems
                  • nice to michuTuesday, March 25, 2014 at 12:04 pm
                    Using this info for my geography thanx for the help :)
                    • catlover99