Is This The World's Most Expensive Christmas Tree?

By Meera Dolasia on December 24, 2010

Think you spent too much on your tree this year? Think again - This 42ft. beauty that currently decks the lobby of Abu Dhabi's Emirates Palace Hotel is estimated to be worth an astonishing $11 million USD.

According to the hotel's owners, the tree started out with an initial value of a mere $10,000 USD. However, the value kept increasing as they added the ornaments, which in this case comprised of 181 pieces of gold, pearl, diamond, sapphire and other precious jewelry loaned to them by local jeweler, Star Gallery. The hotel now plans to contact the Guinness Book of Records to see if they can claim the title to setting up the World's most expensive Christmas tree. The current title established in 2002, belongs to a tree in Japan, which was decorated with 83 pieces of jewelry, estimated to be worth $10.8mm USD.

While a tree like this may sound odd, especially in a hotel lobby, it makes perfect sense given that it sits right under the hotel's pure gold dome and adjacent to the world's first and only ATM machine that dispenses gold bars. Also, given that a seven-day package, that includes a car and a private plane at this ultra-luxurious hotel, costs a whopping $1million USD, there is very little likelihood of any of the expensive jewels getting stolen - We hope!

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of You!

• AnonymousWednesday, November 19, 2014 at 2:48 pm
    I hope I'm not on the naughty list
    • AnonymousWednesday, November 19, 2014 at 2:46 pm
      I would keep the money and do something better like giving it to charity
      • kateylolzsup
        kateylolzsupWednesday, October 22, 2014 at 8:54 am
        Omg there is a necklace on there that is worth hundreds of dollars!!! If I was a robber I would rob that...
        • dumbhumbugmum45
          dumbhumbugmum45Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 6:03 pm
          omg so costly I would be broke FOREVER if I bought that!
          • mickey1
            mickey1Tuesday, April 8, 2014 at 7:52 am
            that Christmas tree will break me if I try to buy one like it. sooooo expensive
            • ladder and roseFriday, March 7, 2014 at 5:01 pm
              wow that is just amazing. I mean, why in the world would they spend so much money on a christmas tree? But i have to admit, it sounds pretty cool.
              • Wage1234Sunday, January 19, 2014 at 2:11 pm
                I wish I had that much money
                • alinin
                  alininThursday, December 19, 2013 at 12:14 pm
                  That is a lot of money!!!!! I can't believe that has so much jewelry!!!!!!!!!
                  • Acy12/17Monday, December 16, 2013 at 8:55 am