Denmark's Generous Store 'Sells' Chocolates For Good Deeds

By Meera Dolasia on March 31, 2012

Word Search

How cool would it be if you could walk into your local confectionery store and pick up a box of candy for just promising to do a good deed! Sounds too good to be true? Not, if you live in Denmark, where the aptly named 'Generous Store' is doing exactly that!

And, it does not handout just any candy either, but one made by famous Danish chocolate company, Anthon Berg. Located in central Copenhagen, the pop-up store, which opened its doors to the public last month, is the brainchild of creative agency Robert/Bison & Like Minded, who came up with the idea as a unique way to advertise the chocolates.

Customers will not notice anything different when they first walk in. Just like any other chocolate store, the Generous Store too, features mouth-watering displays of all its offerings. However, as they look closer they will realize that none of the boxes have price tags. Instead, their tags have good deeds like 'Serve breakfast in Bed''Clean the house for a week', 'Don't lie to your dad for week', etc. etc.

Once the customer decides on the chocolate (and the good deed), they simply take the box and walk over to strategically placed iPad stations. But, instead of swiping their credit card, they log on to their Facebook account and pledge to do the deed stipulated on their candy box on to both their and the receiver's wall. Then they take the chocolate and leave! Given that the company is not going to monitor whether the person follows through on his/her promise, the entire transaction is based on an honor system.

Surprisingly though, thanks to the peer pressure that comes with posting the intention on a venue that all their friends can see, the project has been amazingly successful. Anthon Berg's Facebook page is inundated with gratitude from the receivers of these good deeds.

Though this store will not be open forever, the residents of Copenhagen are sure enjoying both the chocolates and the good deeds for now and, Anthon Berg is definitely garnering a huge amount of publicity throughout the world - A win win for everyone involved!

Resource: Telegraph.co.uk, odditycentral.com

• lolipopWednesday, December 17, 2014 at 9:05 am
    i wish i would go there AND EAT CHOCOLATE YUM but i dont live here
    • happypug12
      happypug12Tuesday, December 16, 2014 at 9:07 am
      It's good to be generous, but not if you're only being generous to get the chocolate.
      • analise
        analiseTuesday, December 16, 2014 at 12:40 pm
        right. if you are dishonest then you can still get away with it
      • happypug12
        happypug12Tuesday, December 16, 2014 at 9:03 am
        Chocolate! Can I eat it all?
        • Candy sweetWednesday, October 15, 2014 at 4:40 pm
          Mmmmm, chocolate!
          • Boo!Wednesday, October 15, 2014 at 4:38 pm
            I'm so jelious, I want to live in Denmark now. Chocolate is my fave!!
            • gymnastluv2253
              gymnastluv2253Sunday, May 25, 2014 at 6:43 am
              Yum. I am a chocolate crazy person!
              • happypug12
                happypug12Tuesday, December 16, 2014 at 9:03 am
                Not as chocolate crazy as me!
              • Sweets LoverFriday, May 9, 2014 at 5:07 pm
                i would love to go there!!!!!!!!!!!! now i'm hungry...
                • superdude1596
                  superdude1596Tuesday, May 6, 2014 at 7:57 am
                  Oh wow! I would love to go there one day! I am pretty nice. But thats the fun part. I get to learn to be nicer!
                  • kell-bell
                    kell-bellFriday, March 7, 2014 at 8:13 pm
                    that is so great! I am not braging or anything, but that would be easy for me because I am friends with everyone I meet. I am part Danish!
                    • aggie
                      aggieSunday, February 16, 2014 at 5:32 pm
                      wow i didnt know the were famous my good deed was get straight a's

Vocabulary

inundated

Latest Comments

pineapplelover

That is very cool nikukyu. I've ...
                      Japan's Butter Scarcity Causes T...

awesomesydney

I'm pretty puny for my age... I'...
                      Merry Christmas! - Now let's fight!