Video Of The Week - Coke's 'Hug Me' Machine Dispenses Free Soda

By Meera Dolasia on April 23, 2012

Word Search

It seems like advertisers are getting increasingly innovative in their approach to getting the word out. First there is Denmark's Generous Store that hands out gourmet chocolate in exchange for good deeds and now a 'Hug Me' vending machine that dispenses free coke cola in exchange for, you guessed it . . . . . . .  A hug!

The vending machine that was recently installed at the National University of Singapore is the brainchild of advertising and marketing company Ogilvy & Mather, and is part of Coca Cola's new marketing initiative called 'Open Happiness'

To emanate this joyful emotion, the machine has the words 'Hug Me' written in lieu of a Coke Cola Ad. When a human fulfills that wish by wrapping his/her arms around it, the machine returns the favor by dispensing a chilled can of coke! Judging by the delighted squeals from the students, the machine is definitely creating a ton of 'Open Happiness' on the University campus.

Resources: newsfeed.time.com

VocabularyPlay Game

dispensingemanatelieu
  • 12584Wednesday, January 27, 2016 at 6:51 am
    cant even watch it
    • sonic510
      sonic510Monday, January 25, 2016 at 4:23 pm
      I wish someone could make a thing where you hug a machine and it gives you a free video game or video game console. THAT WOULD BE SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      • mcat25
        mcat25Monday, January 25, 2016 at 3:57 pm
        That is so cool. The next time I see a vending machine I think I'll hug it for free coke.
        • orangesplash18
          orangesplash18Friday, January 15, 2016 at 5:45 pm
          so good i like free stuff! i wish i have that in my house
          • websterTuesday, January 12, 2016 at 3:59 pm
            what in the world this is awesome its like you get a free coke if you hug this machine, Silly me you do thats just so rad and cool and funny
            • silverfootwolf
              silverfootwolfWednesday, December 30, 2015 at 6:49 am
              don't you think it will get kinda gross after tons of people hugging it?
              • cheetahluver
                cheetahluverMonday, January 25, 2016 at 3:22 pm
                True!
                • sonic510
                  sonic510Monday, January 25, 2016 at 4:21 pm
                  Probably.
              • #awesomeSunday, December 20, 2015 at 3:36 pm
                my mom says it is silly but i think it is cool and also i like free stuff
                • svetochka
                  svetochkaWednesday, December 16, 2015 at 6:49 am
                  i hate coke but i like hugs!!!
                  • silverfootwolf
                    silverfootwolfWednesday, December 30, 2015 at 6:47 am
                    same
                    • sonic510
                      sonic510Monday, January 25, 2016 at 4:22 pm
                      I don't drink sodas that much because I want to stay healthy.
                  • YumWednesday, December 9, 2015 at 7:32 am