Video Of The Week - Are You Smarter Than A Chimp?

By Meera Dolasia on September 3, 2012

CCSS

Humans believe that they are at the top of the food chain because they can outsmart any living being on this planet - While that may be true to some extent, animals, especially chimpanzees that share 99% of our DNA, are no dummies either.

In the video filmed by National Geographic, see how quickly and efficiently the chimp figures out how to get to a peanut that lies at the bottom of a fixed clear tube. But before you watch it, see if you can figure out the solution and prove to yourself and the world that you are . . . . . . Smarter than a chimp!

Resource: National Geographic.com

Share by EmailShare on FacebookShare on Google+Share on TwitterShare on PinterestShare on RedditShare on Edmodo
  • annabethc
    annabethcThursday, May 7, 2015 at 3:13 am
    Seaweed brain! No, smart brain!
    • tbl5832
      tbl5832Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 7:32 am
      hilarious.
      • girlz4life
        girlz4lifeSaturday, March 14, 2015 at 7:27 pm
        The video was so funny! I would never think of that! Well in this case...lol!
        • cool GuySaturday, March 14, 2015 at 5:21 pm
          funny
          • bookworm9
            bookworm9Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 4:08 pm
            I think the chimp came up with a very funny idea to get peanuts out of a plastic tube! 😝😜 -🐛📖9⃣
            • bigmelo
              bigmeloSaturday, March 14, 2015 at 4:40 pm
              Ha! Sadly I knew the answer to the video's puzzle. I believe this puzzle was once inspired by a tale in which a crow, thirsty for water, slowly threw in stones to drink the water that was at the bottom of a pitcher. In this case, I believe the situation was the other way around... :D
            • isaacm
              isaacmFriday, February 27, 2015 at 2:14 pm
              I'm in 3rd grade and learning about DNA and this perfectly ties into our unit of studies.
              • girlz4life
                girlz4lifeSaturday, March 14, 2015 at 7:30 pm
                I'm in 5th grade now and I remember in 3rd grade we didn't learn anything about DNA. We just learned about other random stuff...
                • nikukyu
                  nikukyuSaturday, March 14, 2015 at 5:42 pm
                  Oh my gosh I haven't learned about DNA let and I'm way past third grade! Wait, what did I learn in third grade science...? Heck, I don't remember!
                  • crystalmori
                    crystalmoriSaturday, March 14, 2015 at 11:53 pm
                    All I remember was that we had some tadpoles we raised in a special case in the classroom. Actually, I don't think I had science in third grade, because I remember wondering when they were actually going to start having science classes.
                  • bigmelo
                    bigmeloSaturday, March 14, 2015 at 4:35 pm
                    Good for you! I remember when I was your age, we learned about calculating the likeliness of dominant or recessive traits through Punnett squares. Are you learning that? :)
                    • bookworm9
                      bookworm9Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 4:05 pm
                      You are already learning about DNA in third grade? Wow! You must be at a great school and learn many MANY things!!!!!! -🐛📖9⃣
                      • bigmelo
                        bigmeloSaturday, March 14, 2015 at 4:37 pm
                        Yeah, third grade had a lot of really great things in my school. I think I was my thrid grade teacher's most favorite student of all time... I don't know why my teachers like me so much, though. :D
                        • crystalmori
                          crystalmoriSaturday, March 14, 2015 at 11:48 pm
                          My third grade teacher was probably the only one who didn't like me. ^_^'
                      • isaacm
                          Omg
                          • charlie23
                            charlie23Wednesday, January 14, 2015 at 10:09 am
                            so smart!
                            • sam2002
                              sam2002Tuesday, December 9, 2014 at 2:46 pm
                              Wow I thought of blowing so that the air would pop it up but that is cool I bet it cause we try to over think things.
                              • crystalmori
                                crystalmoriSaturday, March 14, 2015 at 11:51 pm
                                I thought of fishing it out with a stick. That would take a while, but it might work. Also, the video was done deliberately so that the place the chimp's getting water from is out of sight, therefore we humans have no visual trigger to help us come up with that idea.