Mona Lisa Upstaged - By A Younger, Happier Version!

By Meera Dolasia on February 25, 2013

CCSS NCSS-1 Word Search

While 15th Century artist Leonardo da Vinci painted many masterpieces, including the 'Last Supper, which depicts the final meal Jesus shared with his apostles before his crucifixion, he is most famous for a small 77 cm x 53 cm painting that sits encased in bulletproof glass at the Louvre Museum in Paris - The Mona Lisa! Now, it turns out that she may have some competition - A younger, happier version believed to have been painted by the Renaissance artist sometime between 1410-1455.

Named after the London suburb where British art collector Hugh Blaker discovered it shortly before World War 1, the Isleworth Mona Lisa is slightly larger than the iconic Paris version that attracts over 6 million visitors every year. But the resemblance to Lisa Gherardini AKA Mona Lisa is unmistakable, except for one thing - She looks a lot younger and happier!

The first person to suggest that it may be a genuine Da Vinci was Hugh Blaker's stepfather John Eyre, who in 1915 wrote a long essay about his theory. This view was reinforced in 1966 by American collector Henry F. Pulitzer, who bought the painting from Mr. Blaker. However, very few people took it seriously. When Mr. Pulitzer passed away he left it to his girlfriend who tucked it away inside a Swiss vault, where it lay for about 40 years.

Following her death in 2008, the painting was acquired by an International consortium of unnamed individuals who finally on September 29th, 2012, decided to ask experts to irrefutably prove that it was indeed, an earlier version of Mona Lisa - One that Da Vinci had handed over to Lisa Gherardini's husband Francesco di Bartolomeo, who it is believed had commissioned it as a gift for her birthday.

As would be expected most people were convinced it would prove to just a very well done forgery. After all, Mona Lisa fakes are constantly popping out of the woodworks and this one seemed to have a glaring flaw - Da Vinci's medium of choice was primarily wood, whilst this one was painted on canvas.

But after almost five months of tests that included one by a specialist in sacred geometry, as well as, brush stroke analysis done by experts from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, on February 13th the owners of the Isleworth Mona Lisa were proudly able to declare that this was indeed an original Da Vinci creation. We wonder what museum this version will star in.

Resources: guardian.co.uk,newsfeed.time.com,.huffingtonpost.com,news.discovery.com,nola.com

• zoo coolWednesday, March 25, 2015 at 10:28 am
    I can't belivie it I dideitn know ssssoooooooooiooooooo cool
    • funnycandy
      funnycandyTuesday, February 24, 2015 at 9:06 am
      I see it but ist cool
      • blossom
        blossomTuesday, February 24, 2015 at 7:03 am
        I SEE THE DIFFERENCE!
        • joanluv23
          joanluv23Monday, February 23, 2015 at 12:25 pm
          OMG I SEE THE DIFFERENCE
          • redheadperson22
            redheadperson22Monday, February 23, 2015 at 5:50 am
            I don't see the big difference. One doesn't look that much younger or happier to me.
            • bigmelo
              bigmeloSunday, February 22, 2015 at 3:32 pm
              *sigh* I'll never beat her in a staring contest, young or old... I guess I'll just have to suck it up. :(
              • nikukyu
                nikukyuSunday, February 22, 2015 at 11:28 pm
                I'll just start giggling!
                • bigmelo
                  bigmeloMonday, February 23, 2015 at 12:30 pm
                  I think that's the reason I'd lose, too. Otherwise I could resist blinking for a couple minutes or so, depending on the moisture of my eyes. :)
              • chillout2468
                chillout2468Thursday, February 5, 2015 at 2:39 pm
                I've always wanted to read "The Da Vinci code."
                • bigmelo
                  bigmeloSunday, February 22, 2015 at 3:33 pm
                  I haven't read it, either, but I've heard that it was a classic, & so was the movie! :D
                • aphphilippines
                  aphphilippinesWednesday, December 17, 2014 at 9:47 am
                  How dare they try to compete with da Vinci!That's like saying Micalanjelo was a bad artist!
                  • nikukyu
                    nikukyuMonday, November 17, 2014 at 1:43 am
                    She got fatter!!! But still beautiful
                  • Mysterious meThursday, November 13, 2014 at 11:58 am
                    Can't believe it!

Vocabulary

acquiredapostlescommissionedconsortiumcrucifixiondepictsflawgenuineiconicirrefutablymediumreinforcedrenaissancesuburbunmistakablevault

Paris, France