Bears In Space!

392 Words 3-Minute Listen

Earlier this week, Two cuddly teddy bears MAT and KMS (named using the first initials of the kids that build their spacesuits), each strapped with a friend, made history by becoming the first stuffed animals to fly to Space.

The bears, dressed in spacesuits designed by middle school kids, were strapped to a helium weather balloon, and 'launched' to outer space from Churchill College in Cambridge , UK. Attached to them, was a web camera, which sent the amazing pictures back to Earth. Temperature sensors affixed to the spacesuits, transmitted the exact temperatures to the mission control down below.

After a successful launch, the space pioneers drifted 100,000 ft. above the ground, where they conducted their space walk, which was caught on camera, right before the helium balloon burst. The bears parachuted back down safely, landing north of Ipswich , about 50 miles away from their launch pad. The entire adventure lasted 2 hours and nine minutes.

While seeing the bears go to space was thrilling, the bigger purpose behind the space mission, arranged in collaboration with Cambridge University's spacecraft club, was to get middle-school students excited about science and see how some of the theory they learn can be applied to real-life situations.

The main aim of the experiment, spearheaded by 21-year old Cambridge University student, Henry Hallam, was to monitor weather conditions in space and determine which materials provided the best insulation in the temperatures that dip as low as -53 degrees Celsius.

The kids who designed the spacesuits had to consider not only the insulation, but also take into account convection, conduction and radiation, of the materials used. And this wasn't enough-even the best insulated suit would be worthless if it was too heavy. They therefore had to take into account material buoyancy and the pressure and composition of the atmosphere, before designing the suit. The fact that the bears had a radio connection to the computer below, brought in real-life uses of computer control and radio communications.

Funnily enough, none of the kids thought of this as learning science - to them it was just a fun project and seeing it succeed, made it all the more awesome. The Spacecraft club's next project is to try devise a cheaper sub-orbital space flight. We wonder who will be the lucky passengers on that flight.

Sources: Guardian.co.uk, Telegraph.co.uk

• massive sketWednesday, November 29, 2017 at 9:21 am
    wow a 3 year old conversation
    • Wonder WomenMonday, November 27, 2017 at 12:41 pm
      I do not believe this.
      • Wonder WomenMonday, November 27, 2017 at 12:33 pm
        I don't really believe this.
        • manFriday, October 6, 2017 at 11:03 am
          whos watching this right now
          • manFriday, October 6, 2017 at 11:03 am
            whats up
            • b3ast
              b3astWednesday, October 7, 2015 at 7:41 am
              its so funny but so weird but GO teddy explore the universe
              • animefan3
                animefan3Tuesday, November 18, 2014 at 8:50 am
                What so weird
                • happypug12
                  happypug12Monday, November 17, 2014 at 8:50 am
                  Go teddy bears! I have this little teddy bear that I named Pincushion, because every day that I wear jewelry, when I'm done wearing my jewelry, I put it on Pincushion! I put my earrings on Pincushion's ears, my bracelet's on Pincushion's waist, and my rings on Pincushion's arms. You will need a small Teddy bear to this, though. It's so fun!
                  • nikukyu
                    nikukyuMonday, November 17, 2014 at 11:31 pm
                    Pincushion is a great name!!! He-I'm think pincushion is a he- sounds so cute! I wish I can have my ears pierced! In Japan it's not normal for kids to wear ear rings... I wanna have a cat one!
                    • frankiebaby
                      frankiebabyTuesday, November 18, 2014 at 3:04 pm
                      You live in Japan?
                      • nikukyu
                        nikukyuWednesday, November 19, 2014 at 1:28 am
                        Yeah I'm Japanese! I've went to Hawaii when I was a baby, but that's all... I wanna go to America!!!
                        • sparkle12
                          sparkle12Wednesday, November 19, 2014 at 7:58 am
                          America is awesome! You should really visit Ohio, they have the best and biggest zoo, the Columbus Zoo and they have the best water parks!
                          • nikukyu
                            nikukyuWednesday, November 19, 2014 at 11:01 pm
                            Hey, if you say " Ohio" to a Japanese person, they'll say it right back! Why? Cuz Ohio means good morning in Japanese! What a coincidence!
                            • happypug12
                              happypug12Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 9:47 am
                              Ha-ha! That is so funny, nikukyu!
                            • happypug12
                              happypug12Wednesday, November 19, 2014 at 5:37 pm
                              I have a book that tells you the best things about EACH state. Go ahead, ask me about any state.
                              • nikukyu
                                nikukyuWednesday, November 19, 2014 at 10:59 pm
                                Um, what's the state bird of Hawaii?
                                • happypug12
                                  happypug12Thursday, November 20, 2014 at 7:32 am
                                  The State bird of Hawaii is the Nene, also known as the Hawaiian Goose. Thanks for asking! : )
                                  • nikukyu
                                    nikukyuFriday, November 21, 2014 at 2:28 am
                                    Thanks a lot happypug!
                                    • happypug12
                                      happypug12Friday, November 21, 2014 at 8:16 am
                                      You're welcome, nikukyu! If u or anyone else has a question about a state, I can hopefully answer it. : )
                      • peacheslarue
                        peacheslarueMonday, November 17, 2014 at 5:21 pm
                        Awww Pincushion sounds great! (i am also a big fan of stuffed animal even though i am a 2003 girl!
                        • nikukyu
                          nikukyuMonday, November 17, 2014 at 11:27 pm
                          Me 2!! Does that mean we're the same age? AWESOME
                          • peacheslarue
                            peacheslarueTuesday, November 18, 2014 at 2:36 pm
                            i guess we r fellow 6th grader! i wonder if happypug is around our age?
                            • happypug12
                              happypug12Wednesday, November 19, 2014 at 5:05 am
                              I am in fifth grade.
                              • peacheslarue
                                peacheslarueThursday, November 20, 2014 at 3:04 pm
                                WOW! You sound so much older when you write but it not a big age difference!
                                • happypug12
                                  happypug12Friday, November 21, 2014 at 4:19 am
                                  Thanks! People say I'm actually pretty tall for my age. : )
                              • frankiebaby
                                frankiebabyTuesday, November 18, 2014 at 3:33 pm
                                Im in sixth!
                                • peacheslarue
                                  peacheslarueTuesday, November 18, 2014 at 3:54 pm
                                  Cool! it seems that a lot of 6th graders r on Dogo! Especcially girls!
                                  • kell-bell
                                    kell-bellTuesday, November 18, 2014 at 4:50 pm
                                    Im seventh. just ahead of u all :)
                                    • peacheslarue
                                      peacheslarueThursday, November 20, 2014 at 3:03 pm
                                      YAY!! We r all close to each others ages!
                            • peacheslarue
                              peacheslarueMonday, November 17, 2014 at 5:22 pm
                              Stuffed animals, toys not taxidermy UHhhh
                          • nikukyu