Super Duper Tuesday Update

By Meera Dolasia on February 6, 2008

The results of Super-Duper Tuesday are out and while people who voted for the Republican Party seem to have chosen the person they want to represent them for the final elections, voters for the Democratic Party remain divided.

John McCain emerged as the clear winner against Mitt Romney for the Republican Party. His wins included the States of Arizona, California, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Missouri, New Jersey, New York and Oklahoma. Mitt Romney on the other hand won Colorado, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota and Utah.

Things were not that clear-cut on the Democratic side however. While Hillary Clinton emerged as the front runner, winning Arizona, California, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oklahoma and Tennessee - the overall lead was not that much. Barack Obama won Alabama, Alaska, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Kansas Illinois, Minnesota, Missouri North Dakota and Utah.

At this point you are probably thinking that Mr. Obama won more States so he should be the clear leader. However, the US voting system is slightly more complicated than that. The winner is decided by the number of "delegate" votes. A delegate is an individual who is chosen by the National Party to represent each party or candidate, and they are normally picked as the "voice" of the group they represent, like a leader for small business owners or they could be a local elected official.

However, not all states have the same number of "delegates" - the bigger the population of the State, the more the delegates. That is the reason why Hillary Clinton is ahead. She won the delegate vote in California which has the most number of delegates and that put her ahead of Obama Barack.

It will be interesting to see how things unfold in the next few months leading up to the Presidential Elections in November. Meanwhile, enjoy the video of the leading candidates celebrating their wins - make sure you don't miss Mr. Barack's celebration "jig" with his wife!

Listen to the Article: Play Audio

Create MLA, Chicago, or APA Website Citation

Create a website citation for this article. We support MLA8, MLA7, APA, and Chicago citation formats.

• MusicalGeniusDESaturday, May 13, 2017 at 11:45 am
    I cannot explain to you how much I love Obama in one sitting
    • WillFriday, January 6, 2017 at 6:52 am
      You will see a amogies sine on the bottom left of your screen!
      • GO HILLARYWednesday, November 16, 2016 at 5:59 am
        I love Obama too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and how do you get amogies ?
        • NOSY ROXY😺Thursday, July 21, 2016 at 10:04 am
          I vote for Obama 😺😺😺😺
          • RoxyThursday, July 21, 2016 at 9:57 am
            I would vote for Obama
            • Mega manTuesday, June 7, 2016 at 2:48 pm
              I don't think so Sinala 1024 Trump is better!
              • Sinala 1024Friday, May 27, 2016 at 10:42 am
                Vote for Bernie Sanders because he is not doing anything raced or anything weird
                • turtlenicole
                  turtlenicoleSaturday, June 4, 2016 at 5:10 pm
                  but he's a socialist cause he wants everyone in the world to have equal wages. So if someone has a lower salary than you, then he cuts your wages which is bad because he is only helping the poor (which is good) but the middle and the upper class would be disadvantaged
                • misheel_ice
                  misheel_iceThursday, March 17, 2016 at 10:18 am
                  I want to vote for Hillary Clinton because I don't trust Donald Trump and I hate that there will be another chance for a book.
                  • misheel_ice
                    misheel_iceTuesday, March 15, 2016 at 11:03 am
                    WOW! Hillary Clinton will have a chance to be the first lady/girl/woman president !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    • Jealous kayMonday, March 7, 2016 at 11:43 am