The Amazing Creatures That Inhabit The Bottom Of Our Oceans
Listen to Article
Thanks to the findings of naturalist, Edward Forbes, for the longest time, scientists believed that no life could exist in our oceans, beyond the depth of 300 fathoms (1,800 ft.
Besides Mr. Forbes findings, scientist knew that as one delves into the depths of the ocean, conditions become extremely tough, making it difficult, if not impossible to survive. For one, there is very little oxygen at that level. Added to that, is the fact that since very little sunlight can penetrate to the bottom, not much can grow, making it difficult to sustain life. And then of course there is the issue of water pressure, which can get pretty intense at those depths.
However, where there is a will, there is a way - and marine researchers have discovered an amazing array of sea creatures that have somehow found a way to survive and even thrive in the deepest depths of our oceans.
Among the fish found are clams, the size of dinner plates and shrimp with eyes on their back. Then, there is the spookfish, who have eyes with a 90-degree range and a transparent skull, which reveals an eerie glowing coral reef-like brain.
What's even more fascinating is how the creatures have adapted themselves to survive in the environment. The black dragon fish emits its own red light, while the crafty male deep-sea angler leachs on to the blood supply of the female (if lucky enough to find one), for a life-long supply of food.
All in all, scientists have discovered over 230,000 new species in the last 100 years. They however believe that there are plenty more - between 500,000 to 10 million new ones of these wonderful creatures, still waiting to be discovered!
- Beyblade1236about 12 yearsAwesome! Animals are good at adapting to their environment.
- edmodo-j3lkebhafrover 9 yearsbecause they are good for our oceans
- bellaover 13 yearsthis is very interesting
- alberto email@example.com add me (myspace)almost 14 yearsthis is really awesome because you can see it guts and stuff
- Julianaabout 14 yearsThat is so cool,wonder if there might be unicorns out in this world:b
- peepabout 14 yearscool
- hannah montanaabout 14 yearshallo lola
- lolaabout 14 yearscool animal!love it.