ReWalk Allows Paraplegics To 'Walk' Again

280 Words 2-Minute Listen

While wheelchair accessibility has come a long way, the world is still largely geared for people who can stand upright. Besides the day-to-day inconvenience, people who are wheelchair bound, also suffer from cardiovascular, respiratory and other health problems.

Now, a new invention called ReWalk enables Paraplegics or people who are paralyzed from waist down, to stand up and 'walk' - enabling them to re-habilitate faster and hopefully, also alleviate some of the health issues.

Fitted with sensors at the joints, ReWalk is designed like an external skeleton that a patient wears over clothes. A computerized control system that can be carried in a backpack along with a rechargeable battery, is connected to a wristband remote, which is preprogrammed with some standard commands like stand, sit, walk, descend or climb.

The user presses any one of them and than leans forward. This in turn, activates the sensors and sets the robotic legs into motion to perform the requested task. Using crutches to balance, the patient is able to walk or climb up stairs, almost like a normal person.

The device is the brainchild of Amir Goffer who came up with the idea after a car accident left him completely paralyzed. Since the device requires the user to be able to hold crutches, it is not of much use to him, because he does not have full use of his arms. However, for millions of people it will be a dream come true when ReWalk comes to market at the rather steep price of $100,000 USD in January 2011. And, Mr. Goffer's company is already working on their next product - One that will allow quadriplegics to stand upright too!

Source:gizmag.com,geekologie.com

• avafaith
    avafaithSaturday, November 21, 2015 at 11:32 pm
    What an awesome idea! I hope everybody who is in a wheelchair will be able to get this
    • bananaThursday, October 8, 2015 at 4:16 pm
      this is cool and i will use this for my homework! :D :D :D :D
      • BobTuesday, May 5, 2015 at 1:56 pm
        cool
        • diamondkid
          diamondkidSunday, March 1, 2015 at 6:01 pm
          This is so amazing! I'm very proud of the people who came up with this! This is probably one of the most awesome things I've ever seen! I'm excpecially happy for the people who can now walk! This is an amazing prototype! I'm so happy! This just brightened up my day, thanks to all of you who made this, you're all amazing, BRILLIANT!! I'm so proud!:)
          • iammlplover65
            iammlplover65Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 8:42 am
              cool
              • just an avreageThursday, November 6, 2014 at 9:48 am
                instead buttons why not wires hooked up to the motion senses of the brain?
                • reporter5
                  reporter5Monday, December 9, 2013 at 3:43 pm
                  using for meh project!
                  • iammlplover65
                    iammlplover65Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 8:44 am
                    Everyone should! It's amazing, right?:)
                  • Lovey coveyTuesday, September 3, 2013 at 6:47 am
                    Cool right I made that up.
                    • iammlplover65
                      iammlplover65Tuesday, February 3, 2015 at 8:43 am
                      It is cool! You're brilliant!:)
                    • krb1403Thursday, May 30, 2013 at 3:42 pm
                      this is so awesome i think i will use this for my project