NASA's Kepler Spacecraft Discovers Dark Alien Planet
Listen to Article
Launched by NASA in 2009, the Kepler Spacecraft's primary mission is to scout the Milky Way galaxy for planets similar to ours. Besides finding some interesting prospects, the spacecraft has also been able to detect a few other interesting celestial objects. However, few are as intriguing as its latest find - A mysterious dark alien planet that NASA scientists call TrES-2b.
Lurking some 750 million light-years away from Earth, the planet, estimated to be the same size as Jupiter is so dark that NASA scientists are describing it as 'blacker than coal' or considerably less reflective than the darkest acrylic paint!
The only light that emanates from the TrES-2b is a faint red glow, similar to the coils on an electric stove. Researchers believe this is thanks to its scorching atmosphere which they estimate is as high as 1,800°F (980°C), thanks to its proximity to its sun.So how does this planet manage to absorb about 99% of the light it receives from its sun? While researchers are not sure, they believe it could be because its atmosphere comprises of light-absorbing chemicals like vaporized sodium and potassium or maybe even some chemical that we don't know exists.
While they may never be able to tell exactly how the planet remains so stealthily hidden, the NASA scientists are sure of one thing - There are many more even darker worlds out there just waiting to be discovered!
Learn Keywords in this Article
- Youmamaover 4 yearsHow did they find this planet if it’s so far
- Alien BOI over 4 yearsThat was pretty near my dad is a scientists I will ask him if he knows about this
- Alien about 5 yearsThere’s my planet I’m trying to look for it
- Jacksonover 5 yearsThis planet is so cool it only has 1 percent of sun light
- :) :(about 6 yearsvery scarey!
- aleinsabout 6 yearsALEINS ARE REAL I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111
- lolzfactzover 6 yearsDats neat
- avashmavaover 6 yearsWow
- I will get uover 6 yearsIm awesome
- WHOS_JEFFRY_TOOover 6 yearsCOOOOOOOL SO AMAZING I WANA GO THERE YAAAAAAH