Why The World's Longest Word Will Never Appear In Any Dictionary Or Record Book!
Listen to Article
Search for the term 'world's longest word' and you probably find Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis - the scientific name for a lung disease commonly referred to as silicosis. While this is technically true because it is the longest word you will ever see published in a dictionary or for that matter in most places, there are many words that believe it or not, are much longer than that.
While the reason they are not published or given any credence is because they are purportedly not 'real' words, it may also be because they are sooooo long that including them would require the creation of a stand-alone edition!
In fact, the real longest word is so lengthy that even we do not dare publish it in its full 189, 819 letters - The only thing we can tell you is that it starts with methionyl . . . and ends with . . . isoleucine. And incase you are wondering, it took the one person that did dare to say it aloud, a whopping 3.5 hours!
What is even more surprising is that this word is not just a gibberish concoction made up by some crazy person, but a giant protein appropriately dubbed Titin that is made up of 244 unique folded protein domains and also contains the largest number of exons (363) in any single gene. The protein that is used by the body for contraction of striated muscle tissues may not be the most crucial one that we need, but it is not totally worthless either! It is of course better known for its long convoluted scientific name! For those of you curious enough to hear the word aloud, below is the full 3.5 hour video version - test it out and see if you can get through even a tenth of it!
Learn Keywords in this Article
- songunicorn17over 1 yearListen it has the words... Ultra and volcano! Wut?
- songunicorn17over 1 yearMy dictionary has a word containing 1,000 morning numbers and it is a real word! It took me 3 hours pronouncing it 😐
- danickaover 1 yearWOW!!!!😶
- techfashion0315over 1 yearMy mom is quite the wordsmith so I am sure she would appreciate this!
- pasteleaover 1 yearThe longest word in my dictionary only took 45 mins to read.😑
- blueberryyogurtover 1 yearOmg 45 minutes? That must be a very long word
- techfashion0315over 1 yearThat is still pretty long! 😲
- andrewliu1003over 1 yearWow that’s a lot of letter lol
- bscover 1 yearWow, that's long!
- bazookert06about 2 yearsYeah, Im not gonna do that.
- ilovetacoslolover 1 yearlol👍😂😉
- andrewliu1003over 1 yearYup.
- pinkkitty9over 2 yearsWOW!!! once I went to my grandma's house and I saw a dictionary that was SUPER DUPER SHLOOPER MOOPER BIG!!!
- dinobasketball7over 2 years45 letters! That's crazy!