Let The Games Begin! 2012 World Maths, Science And Spelling Days Are Almost Here!
Listen to Article
Attention kids! It's time to brush off those cobwebs from the brain and get ready for three incredible challenges World Spelling Day, World Maths Day and World Science Day - The only competitions that allow you to test your knowledge against peers from all across the globe.
The on-line challenges will begin at a pre-determined time for each country on March 6th, 7th and 8th respectively, and last for 48 hours. Competitors, who can enter individually, or as a school, are allowed to play up to 50, 60-second challenges, with each correct answer earning a point for the Spelling and Math Challenges. For the Science Challenge competitors will be able to accrue 2 points for each question if they tackle the difficult ones.
Though the competition is on for for the entire two days, contestants can log in and out and take as many breaks as they wish - Their scores will be stored by the site, allowing them to continue where they left off, each time. To ensure that every one gets a chance to win the coveted title, the contest pool is divided into four age categories: 4-7, 8-10,11-13 and 14-18.
At the end of the 48-hour period, the individuals and school with the highest number of correct answers will be inducted into the respective Halls of Fame, receive minted Gold Medals and most important of all get the title of World Champions. A number of other prizes will also be awarded. To check the full list go to www.worldmathsday.com.
The best part is, you can start practicing right away. Simply ask your parents or teacher to register and begin playing against children your age from India,Korea,China or maybe someone from just round the corner from you. Best of luck! Be sure to let us know how you do, by adding your comments below.
- cookiealmost 8 yearsI really want to enter
- bigmeloabout 8 yearsI must compete in these three contests - it seems like the heaven in which young men & women acquire new knowledge. :)
- shivi483about 8 yearswow this is so awesome science and maths are my favourite subjects woohoooo
- Awesome 7sover 8 yearsI think math can be cool if you are multiplying
- artjunkieover 8 yearsThat's disgusting! Education should not be a competion!
- crystalmoriabout 8 yearsI agree on some levels, but humans have only climbed to the top of the food chain because of their intelligence. If we lost that, what would be left?
- crystalmoriabout 8 yearsStill I think that it goes a bit far sometimes. People being considered worthless if their grades are low is not good for them. School shouldn't have to be a competition, even if our intelligence was how our ancestors competed to stay alive when the world was still wild. Did you know that even though most animals display traits of kicking out, hurting, or destroying those who are different, Neanderthal(early human) remains suggest they took care of those who were old or sick? I think this means we have the power to look beyond simple competition, to stop seeing everyone as a threat or an asset to the population, and value them for who and what they are-themselves.
- bigmeloabout 8 yearsI don't know, but I really think education should be one of the most important matters corresponding to competition. You know that saying, 'Knowledge is power'? Well, knowledge really can be power. The amount of intelligent people on Earth slowly dwindle, & eventually, every human will rely on technology as their answer. Fortunately, contests like these bring the motivational spirit back to life. Even so, I believe that learning is a virtue we must all be willing to vouch for. :D
- blue123about 11 yearscool
- Oliviaabout 11 yearsWow I thought that this is a cool event and that itcan help a lot of kids.
- loveydoveyabout 11 yearsyou are awsome
- aserenity817about 11 yearswow
- shawnabout 11 yearsi am wondeing what do you get when you won the spelling test and i am aslo wondering how many poeple can ertering