Video Of The Week - Real-Life Spider-Man Helps Promote Comic Book Superhero Movie
Listen to Article
While Andrew Garfield who plays the comic book superhero in The Amazing Spider-Man 2 will be performing many heart-stopping climbs and leaps in the movie, he is not as agile in real-life. That is probably why the filmmakers decided to call upon the real Spider-Man – French extreme climber Alain Robert, to help promote the superhero movie in Macau, China, on April 23rd, 2014.
After posing for photos with some Spider-Man wannabes, Alain embarked on his real mission - Scaling the exterior of the 33-story tall Galaxy Hotel. And while it may seem like a formidable climb to most, for Alain it was just another day's or should we say half-hour's work, since that is exactly the time it took him, to get to the top.
Though the 51-year-old's normal modus operandi is to climb with bare hands, this time around he did use suction cups and ropes for safety. That's because the already smooth exterior of the 500-foot tall hotel that is covered with glass, had been rendered even more treacherous by some morning rain, making it impossible for Alain to climb with his bare hands. Nevertheless, it was still breathtaking to watch the sure-footed climber make his way up the gorgeous structure that sports six 24-carat gold covered cupolas.
Alain Robert better known as the French Spiderman, stumbled upon his unusual career accidentally, when he was just 12-years-old. Returning from school one day, he realized he had forgotten the keys to his parent's apartment, which happened to be on the eighth floor. Too impatient to wait for his parents to come home, he decided to climb the exterior of the building and get in from the patio.
He enjoyed it so much that he has not stopped since. Over the years, he has climbed over 90 buildings, including famous landmarks like the Eiffel Tower in Paris and the Opera House in Sydney. He has also scaled most of the world's tallest skyscrapers including the Petronas Twin Towers in Malaysia, the Sears Tower in the USA and of course the tallest one of all - Dubai's Burj Khalifa.
Resources: independent.ie, telegraph.co.uk
Learn Keywords in this Article
- unknown_user13over 1 yearI would be Spiderman (female version) b/c he has powers (mostly he can sense what's coming at him) and Iron Man just has fancy tech.
- karatehedgehog4almost 2 yearsCan't decide if I like Spiderman or Iron Man better
- ks128446about 3 yearscould be better
- lil_kermetabout 3 yearsspiderman is my fav super hero 🐜🐜🐜🐜🐜
- sorlandothegreaover 3 yearsomg!
- xavierover 3 yearsI LOVE SPIDER MAN TOO BUT MORE
- meover 3 yearsgo Hawkeye!
- Antoineover 3 yearsLOVE SPIDER-MAN
- Spider-Man fanover 3 yearsThe spider man movies and games are the best.
- Spider-Manalmost 4 yearsSpider man is the best hero ever