Are Cat Owners Smarter Than Dog Owners? This Study Certainly Thinks So

CCSS 405 Words 3-Minute Listen

The fact that dogs and cats dislike each other is no secret. Now the results of this new study may evoke a similar feeling between the animal owners. That's because it asserts that cat owners are generally smarter than dog owners!

The new wisdom that was revealed by Denise Guastello at the annual Association for Psychological Science convention held in San Francisco, CA, from May 22-25th, is based on a survey of 600 university students. The Associate Professor of Psychology at Wisconsin's Carroll University asked the youngsters to identify themselves as dog or cat lovers and describe what they liked most about their choice of animal. The survey also included questions that helped the researcher assess their personalities. When the results were analyzed, the professor came away with the conclusion that cat people were intellectually superior than dog people.

Denise says that the results are intuitive because people who prefer dogs generally like being outdoors with their pets, interacting with other like-minded people. In contrast, those that prefer cats have personalities that are more introverted. They would rather spend their days reading or on some other 'intellectual' activity. She believes that it is probably why they chose cats in the first place.

For those that are a little skeptical, here is some unfortunate news - This is not the first time researchers have reached this conclusion. A 2010 study performed by U.K.'s Bristol University stated that 'cat' people were more educated than 'dog' people'.

The data collected from the 2980 people surveyed, showed that cat people were about 1.5 times more likely to have degrees than those that own dogs. However it was not the choice of pet that made them smarter or dumber. It was just that the people with degrees were in jobs that required longer working hours and therefore chose pets that were better suited to this busy lifestyle. Before coming to this conclusion, the scientists did eliminate the possibility of the choice of pet being based on any kind of income disparity.

However, not all is lost for dog owners. While they may be not as smart, their pets sure are. That was revealed by a 2009 study in which cats and dogs were presented with two pieces of string, only one of which was attached to a food reward - Guess which one could never tell which one to pull for the treat? The so-called smart cats of course!

Resources: telegraph.co.uk, dailymail.co.uk,huffingtonnpost.com

• blue_raspberry
    blue_raspberryMonday, February 8, 2021 at 6:29 am
    CAT OWNERS ARE SMARTER
    • littleartist
      littleartistSunday, January 31, 2021 at 7:18 pm
      I like cats better-a certain cat best. My cat.
      • pippin5
        pippin5Sunday, January 31, 2021 at 10:00 am
        It really depends but.... I like dogs better cause they can sense when your sad and make life a whole lot better. Also dogs are more active and love to interact with you, but cats are just kinda lazy and don’t interact with you or care about you. I can see why people like cats because their really cute and all but, there’s just a special bond between dogs and humans. And every time you see a dog or rub one it just fills you with joy which is really special! Dogs are also SUPER smart
        • astetic_dreams
          astetic_dreamsSunday, January 31, 2021 at 4:58 pm
          Pipin5 my cat is not lazy 😩
          • sydney_zepp
            sydney_zeppSunday, January 31, 2021 at 4:53 pm
            Yeah, I totally agree with that! I think dogs are my favorite, but I do like cats too.
          • kkdelaya
            kkdelayaSunday, January 31, 2021 at 7:28 am
            I have a tan tabby named Enzo and he dosnen't hiss
            • kurz
              kurzFriday, January 22, 2021 at 8:18 am
              Cats are better!!!
              • artgirl2
                artgirl2Sunday, January 31, 2021 at 4:19 am
                I would rather have a snake
                • sydney_zepp
                  sydney_zeppSunday, January 31, 2021 at 4:53 pm
                  So would my friend 😂
              • jyroligykunixy
                jyroligykunixySaturday, August 29, 2020 at 6:54 pm
                i like dogs and cats do fight over it we all have opinions
                • unipug2
                  unipug2Sunday, January 31, 2021 at 8:48 am
                  Agree. I have a cat and dog.
                  • sydney_zepp
                    sydney_zeppSunday, January 31, 2021 at 4:54 pm
                    I have three cats and a puppy and alot of other animals bc I live on a farm.
                • goodvibesonly09
                  goodvibesonly09Monday, July 6, 2020 at 6:37 pm
                  GUYS stop fighting 😟 cats and dogs are both AWESOME in my opinion I like dogs better because I am more of an active person but some of us would rather snuggle with our animals dogs and cats are BOTH great!
                  • 5000unicorns
                    5000unicornsFriday, January 15, 2021 at 8:35 am
                    people have difrint intrists i like cats
                  • 11008800
                    11008800Friday, July 3, 2020 at 6:22 pm
                    I got bitten by a dog when I was young so I DO NOT LIKE DOGS!!
                    • bookfan2008
                      bookfan2008Tuesday, June 30, 2020 at 8:16 am
                      I love both cats AND dogs! But, we all have our own opinion. I have never owned a cat tho...
                      • artgirl2
                        artgirl2Sunday, January 31, 2021 at 4:18 am
                        MAN this is a hard decision🤔🤔 cuz I have two dogs🐶🐶 (both boys) that mean the world to me and they r so cute also a couple days ago my moms friend taught us an art class and she has three pets two cats🐱🐱 (one boy one girl) and one small dog🐶 (boy) the cats r so cute especially when they r with their toys 😄 but Frodo the dog OMG I LOOOOOOVE HIM ❤
                        • sydney_zepp
                          sydney_zeppSunday, January 31, 2021 at 4:55 pm
                          I think dogs are better, they are alot more helpful and can sense seizures and anxiety and depression. But cats are really adorable too!
                      • fox1568