Prepare To Celebrate #GivingTuesday On November 29
Listen to Article
After shopping for deals in stores on “Black Friday”, or online on “Cyber Monday,” Americans and people worldwide, are preparing for “Giving Tuesday.” Now in its fifth year, the global event that is celebrated annually on the Tuesday after Thanksgiving, is the brainchild of the 92nd Street Y, a cultural center in New York City and the United Nations Foundation.
As the name indicates, #GivingTuesday is meant to jump-start the charitable season and therefore observed by raising funds for local nonprofits and schools, organizing food and clothing drives, and conducting random acts of kindness. In 2015, 700,000 people from 71 countries came together to donate $116.7 USD million in cash. An additional $1.08 million USD was spent on gifts.
While the easiest way to participate is by donating to your favorite charity, #GivingTuesday can be celebrated in many other ways. You can give back by volunteering at your local shelter or food bank, or even by donating blood. If all else fails, a purchase from the growing number of organizations that give a portion of their sales to charity will do the trick.
But perhaps the best way to celebrate the day is by helping those nearest and dearest to you. Assist a family member with a simple chore like folding laundry, cooking dinner, or even reading to a younger sibling. No matter what you do, be sure to share your good deed on social media and inspire others to celebrate #GivingTuesday as well!
Resources: givingtuesday.org, USAToday.com
Learn Keywords in this Article
- saharaover 4 yearsi want to have a hoilday
- Ehan G.over 4 yearsI can give away my old clothes to help the people that need them
- Omar Nia ACPSover 4 yearsi can open a lemonade stand for charity
- hi over 6 yearsmy mom works some wear like that
- blablaover 6 yearsthis was the sweetest thing iv'e ever read😝😝😝😝
- smreynoldsabout 6 yearssame i can say so mysslelf i love when i help others!!!!
- lil_lil101over 6 yearsI helped my do homework #giving Tuesday
- Marshmello Melover 6 yearsAwwwwww it is sooooo adorable i want to cuddle up with it when im sad (=^w^=)
- Sly girlover 6 yearsi can read this every day
- frisk the humanover 6 yearsthis happens on my b-day
- NiceCharaover 6 yearstomorrow i have my current events and i am doing this.