Video Of The Week — Ready For Some "Shoe-Shi?"

CCSS NCSS-1
Photo Credit :Yujia Hu via Instagram

Milan-based sushi chef Yujia Hu is making headlines with his innovative “shoe-shi” creations. The intricate works of art that resemble popular sneakers are made using strands of black seaweed called nori, sashimi, rice, and any other edible ingredients needed to recreate the streetwear it is being modeled after.

The China-born food artist, who works at his family’s restaurant Sakana, has created everything from Air Jordans to Vans to Supreme slides. Due to the incredible detail, every “shoe-shi,” takes between 20 to 30 minutes to make. However, the bite-sized masterpieces are not meant to be just admired – Hu intends them to be devoured just like normal sushi.

Photo Credit: Yujia Hu via Instagram

“I began creating onigiri art, at first, just for fun, but then I started being very passionate about it and love what I am doing,” says the 28-year-old who has gained worldwide fame since he began posting his work to Instagram earlier this year.

Hu’s creativity does not end with shoes. He has also used fish and rice to create replicas of a range of NBA superstars and internationally-renowned artists and actors, including characters from Star Wars and former US President Barack Obama. What’s next? The talented chef says, “I have been thinking about recreating the dragon of Game of Thrones, but I have to study it a lot because it’s pretty difficult, it has a lot of details.”

Resources: thrillist.com,time.com

• puppyperson
    puppypersonSunday, July 5, 2020 at 6:47 am
    Cool 🍣+👞
    • lotterywinner32
      lotterywinner32Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 9:41 am
      👟+sushi=weird!
      • lotterywinner32
        lotterywinner32Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 9:39 am
        Cool *food art* oh I can't find a emoji for sushi so it will have to be 👟shi 🤣🤣🤣
        • effie302
          effie302Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 7:39 am
          super cool! I'm not one for eating sushi but this... this is super cool!!!
          • aaron4
            aaron4Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 10:15 am
            I like the design they put for the shoe shi! It is so cute! I would really want to try some😀❤🍣 If u agree follow me and i will follow u back or give me a like
            • jolie0402
              jolie0402Monday, June 8, 2020 at 3:39 am
              Shoe-shi~ Cool name.
              • happydays2256
                happydays2256Sunday, June 7, 2020 at 5:22 am
                I've never had sushi 🍣 I don't really like fish though but that does look pretty cool 👞 I wonder what's next mabye, cream that looks like a flower 🌺
                • effie302
                  effie302Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 7:42 am
                  there's cotton candy in china that they make it look like a flower! just so u know @happyday2256! :)
                  • effie302
                    effie302Thursday, June 11, 2020 at 7:41 am
                    I dont like eating raw fish either but it still looks like I would eat it, kind.
                  • lovebooks123
                    lovebooks123Saturday, June 6, 2020 at 10:57 am
                    I want some now they look so good😃😃😃😃😃😃😃
                    • lolatheute
                      lolatheuteMonday, June 1, 2020 at 9:25 am
                      Yum 😋! I have some Nike Air max shoes
                      • thewisdomoflife
                        thewisdomoflifeSunday, May 31, 2020 at 11:17 pm
                        A very unique way to do art and to create food.
                        • effie302