New York City's Skyline May Get Even More Interesting With The "Big Bend"
Listen to Article
New York City’s impressive skyline that includes iconic structures like the Chrysler Building and the Empire State Building, may get even more interesting with the addition of the “Big Bend.” The tall and slender U-shaped residential tower is the brainchild of Oiio Studio, an architectural firm with offices in Manhattan and Athens.
Greek architect Ioannis Oiaonomou says his design is inspired by an innovative track changing system that will allow future elevators to travel vertically, horizontally, as well as in curves. Oiaonomou was also motivated by the fact that tall structures tend to garner higher prices since buyers correlate height with prestige. However, since New York City’s strict zoning laws forbid buildings beyond a certain height, the architect wondered if he could achieve the same effect by substituting height with length, and build a longer structure instead of a taller one.
A one-of-a-kind U-shaped building such as the “Big Bend” would not just bypass the zoning laws but also rank among the city’s most prestigious buildings, especially since it will be located on Manhattan’s 57th street. Often known as Billionaire’s Row, it is home to some of New York City’s most luxurious and expensive residential buildings.
If the 4,000-foot-long (1,220 meters) “Big Bend” does become a reality, it will also lay claim to being the world’s longest structure! While there are some skeptics, Oiaonomou is confident that the skinny skyscraper, whose only real estate needs will be two narrow plots on either side of a historic building on 57th street, will be very attractive to investors and developers, as well as buyers seeking a distinguished place to live.
Resources: oiistudio.com, architectural digest.com, dezeen.com
Learn Keywords in this Article
- sky_dragonover 2 yearsSo cool!
- zaksover 2 yearsCool, I would like to see that sometime (if I ever visit New York).
- loveheartsover 3 yearsi want to,too
- sp1006926over 3 yearsI WANT TO LIVE IN IT 😬
- SupDawg.-.over 3 yearsWOW this is the most longest biulding in the world.
- sp1006926over 3 yearsThat look so cool 😮 😯
- E-girlover 3 yearsIt would be cool but,I dont think they should take down the buildings that were there first just for this one tall tower that could probably break down any moment if they do something wrong.
- hutucevenolovaabout 4 yearsHow are they going to build the curve without it falling down into the construction zone.
- kellencatmasterabout 4 yearsI can't imagine how hard it would be to fly the Helicarrier with that thing around. Still, W to the O to the WOW!
- jjjjover 4 yearsHi this is crazy girl