Apple's iPhone X Raises The Bar On Technology And Price

CCSS NCSS-6 738 Words 5-Minute Listen
Apple introduces the (right to left) 8, 8S and X on September 12 (Photo Credit: Apple.com

A week ago, on Tuesday, September 12, Apple unveiled its latest offerings to eagerly awaiting fans. The 2017 product showcase held at Apple Park, the company’s new “spaceship” headquarters in Cupertino, CA, included an upgraded Apple Watch, 4K Apple TV, as well as the next generation iPhones – 8 and 8 Plus. Just as the presentation appeared to be drawing to a close, company CEO Tim Cook took to the podium, mouthing the late Steve Job’s familiar, “one more thing . . .” phrase before introducing the much-anticipated iPhone X (“ten”).

Timed to coincide with the 10-year anniversary of the first iPhone, the sleek device, which will be available in silver or black, did not disappoint. The phone’s most striking feature is the front, which is all screen, except for a tiny area on the top for a selfie camera and sensors. The company has even replaced the home button with a cutting-edge new facial recognition software called Face ID. According to Phil Schiller, the senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing, “The iPhone is locked until you look at it and it recognizes you. It recognizes your face even if you change your hairstyle or are wearing glasses or a hat.”

Photo Credit: Apple.com

The iPhone X is not the first device to take advantage of facial recognition technology. Samsung’s Galaxy 8, that was unveiled on September 5, also has a similar feature. However, Apple’s Face ID is purportedly much more secure and accurate because it works by capturing a 3D scan of the user’s face. It, therefore, cannot be fooled into unlocking with a photo of the owner. According to the company, FaceID is also unlikely to get deceived by an accurate model or mask of the owner’s face. iPhone X users will also have access to Animoji, an animated emoji that can be controlled with their personal facial expressions!

Also a first for the company is the use of OLED technology in the phone’s 5.8-inch Super Retina Display screen. Rumored to be made by Samsung, it is superior to the LCD technology used in other iPhones. Some of you may have noticed, the black on your phone appears more gray because LCD lights up everything. Since OLED highlights only selective pixels, dark colors will appear more robust and text will also be easier to read.

iPhone X features facial recognition technology that cannot be fooled (Photo Credit: Apple.com)

The iPhone X also incorporates Apple’s True Tone display technology, which provides the optimal viewing experience by adjusting the intensity of the screen’s white light based on the external lighting. Those that are always running out of power will be pleased to hear that the smartphone’s battery will last for up to 14 hours! Similar to the 8 and 8 Plus, the gorgeous device allows for wireless charging and also features the dual camera available on the 8 Plus.

With all these cutting-edge features, the iPhone X sounds like a sure hit. However, those wishing to get their hands on what the company calls “the future of the smartphone,” will have to dig deep into their pockets. That’s because even the 64GB iPhone X will set them back $999! Those desiring the higher capacity 256GB version will have to pay an astounding $1,149! Apple says the high price tag is justified given the phone’s cutting-edge technology and stunning design.

Dual camera allows for crisp clear images (Photo Credit: Apple.com)

Not surprisingly, the phone’s price is drawing mixed reactions from experts. Ian Fogg, from IHS Markit, is a fan and says, “It (the iPhone X) will still sell in enormous volumes because Apple has repeatedly demonstrated its ability to persuade consumers to shift their overall spending to place a greater share of their disposable income towards a smartphone purchase.” The expert goes on to state, "And the starting price of 999 dollars is only 33 dollars more than the previously most expensive iPhone, the 7 Plus 256GB." However, there are many who believe that while the US sales may be robust, the expensive phone will not do as well in Apple’s second-biggest market China, which has been experiencing a slowdown in sales even before the most recent announcement.

Given that the phone will not be released until October 27, it is hard to predict whether avid Apple fans will accept or reject the nearly four-digit cost. However, if the iPhone X is a runaway success, it does raise the question: Are we entering an era where smartphones will cost as much as a new television or a vacation?

Resources: businessinsider.com, Apple.com, Investors.com

• riggy
    riggyThursday, February 25, 2021 at 12:48 pm
    At the time I am seeing this the iPhone 12 is out
    • marysiah
      marysiahThursday, December 31, 2020 at 7:06 pm
      Do anyone know about an MP3 player
      • pippin5
        pippin5Wednesday, December 30, 2020 at 8:57 am
        The new iPhones (XR, 11, 11Pro etc...) do have a lot of good features and stuff, but it is way harder to have the Face ID because if your wearing glasses or your hair is wet it won’t recognize you. Also I feel it is easier to have a home button on a phone too. But the new iPhones are definitely a more modern, and cool! Apple has really upped their game!
        • marysiah
          marysiahThursday, December 31, 2020 at 6:56 pm
          I know right like sometimes I were glasses and ugh
        • 0w0
          0w0Wednesday, November 11, 2020 at 2:28 pm
          my mom has this phone, but the Face ID won't work because my dad said people looking similar to my mom can unlock the phone. not the trustable, but very good iPhone. so it is OK to have it. just don't set up Face ID.
          • sydney_zepp
            sydney_zeppMonday, December 28, 2020 at 9:36 am
            Well, everyone has something unique about there face, as long as someone who steals it don't have a picture of you, the face I.D. would be okay.
          • zaks
            zaksMonday, November 2, 2020 at 12:46 pm
            I am 11 years old and when I am 12 my parents said that they will get me a phone. The bad part is that I will have to share it with my little brother. 😒
            • zaks
              zaksMonday, November 2, 2020 at 12:47 pm
              It also probably wont have data, it will just be for calling and texting. Which I am kind of okay with.
            • wolfieland
              wolfielandWednesday, July 8, 2020 at 9:04 am
              i used to have a phone and this one is WAYYYYYYY better then my old one
              • bookfan2008
                bookfan2008Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 6:35 am
                Cool! I have a apple phone but my parents are really strict about it and barely let me use it.
                • marysiah
                  marysiahThursday, December 31, 2020 at 7:01 pm
                  Woop will they let play games or call
                  • wolfieland
                    wolfielandThursday, July 9, 2020 at 9:42 am
                    oof i feel bad
                  • animereina2021
                    animereina2021Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 8:32 am
                    Prices, prices, prices... I bet that in the future, phones would probably cost $1000000000 because the keep on raising the prices😵
                    • queen_strong
                      queen_strongThursday, May 28, 2020 at 9:49 am
                      I know right?!
                      • zaks
                        zaksTuesday, September 8, 2020 at 4:15 pm
                        Phones are really expensive now days.
                    • viscogirl101
                      viscogirl101Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 3:54 pm
                      Cool I have the iphone11pro
                      • drpepper7493
                        drpepper7493Sunday, April 19, 2020 at 8:54 pm
                        My mom says I can't have a phone intell I turn 15. And I'm only 11!!!!!!😰😰
                        • ginnyweasly1
                          ginnyweasly1Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 6:08 pm
                          I do not get a phone till I am 16 and I am only 10!
                          • lovetoread26
                            lovetoread26Saturday, May 16, 2020 at 6:21 pm
                            Hopefully I will get one for my birthday.
                            • animereina2021
                              animereina2021Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 8:30 am
                              Hey, at least you can have a phone later on...My parents don't want me having one at all! Even if I become an adult... And I am 13😒
                              • ginnyweasly1
                                ginnyweasly1Wednesday, May 27, 2020 at 6:09 pm
                                I feel so bad for you! I have to wait till I am 15 or 16
                                • horse123456
                                  horse123456Saturday, February 6, 2021 at 2:54 pm
                                  Yeah same. And what if identical twins both had a face ID and they could unlock eachothers phones because they look so alike also I want a phone📱