April 24, 2013
Lesson Plan Suggestions for Common Core Standards
Reading and Critical Thinking Skills
- Read the article or ask students to take turns reading aloud. Ask the students to weigh in their opinion of the current event verbally or as a comment on the article or on their class DOGOnews page.
- Ask students to identify the main theme of the article.
- Identify verbs, nouns and pronouns.
- Identify unfamiliar and challenging words from the list of Vocabulary words at the end of the article and discuss their meanings in the context of the article.
- Create spelling lists and tests based on the Vocabulary words.
Speaking And Listening
- Ask students to narrate in their own words what happens in the article and voice their personal reaction to the news event.