11-Year Old Graduates With Top Honors

By Meera Dolasia on June 10, 2009

Word Search

Most 11-year-olds are just happy to have survived their first year of middle school. However, Moshe Kai Cavalin is not like most kids. He skipped elementary, middle and high school and went straight to college at the tender age of eight.

While Moshe's parents knew he was smart, they had never envisioned putting him in college this young. However, when they tried to enroll him in a private school at the age of 6, he was turned down, because he was so smart and the school was afraid he would be bored.

Turns out they were right - After home schooling the young lad for two years, the parents realized that he was ready for some real high-level courses. They approached East Los Angeles college, who agreed to take him in. However, until he proved himself, he could take only two courses - Math and Physical Education.

Moshe did not disappoint. He got A-pluses in both and hasn't looked back since. Later this week, he will graduate with an Associates Degree in Liberal Arts with a 4.0 Grade Point Average. In fact, the young lad was so smart that he helped tutor his fellow math students, some of whom were a decade older than him.

While the world may hail him as a genius, his parents think he is just a normal boy who plays soccer and watches Jackie Chan movies.

Moshe now hopes to get into a prestigious four-year program and graduate in Astrophysics. However, before that, he is planning to take a little 'break' to pursue his other passion - Martial Arts, where he has won quite a few medals. He also plans to write a book to teach kids how to succeed in school and take scuba diving lessons.

Sources: nbclosangeles.com,topix.com,chicagotriibune.com

• karate dudeTuesday, October 7, 2014 at 5:11 pm
    I also do martial arts but I havent won half the tournaments he has
    • coolnicki477
      coolnicki477Wednesday, October 1, 2014 at 6:40 pm
      I'm 11 and I am sooo NOT as smart as him
      • artjunkie
        artjunkieSunday, September 7, 2014 at 3:59 pm
        At first I thought, "oh look, just another snobby "genius kid", but then I saw the video and I thought "wow, he is such a sweet kid." :)
        • coolnicki477
          coolnicki477Wednesday, October 1, 2014 at 6:40 pm
          I agree!
        • mickey1
          mickey1Tuesday, May 6, 2014 at 7:49 am
          thats awsome
          • doda dodo dingTuesday, April 8, 2014 at 6:14 pm
            you like blew my mind its never amaricans who do things like that.......................................................................
            • krish10
              krish10Monday, March 24, 2014 at 9:50 pm
              Cool!
              • 00someone00
                00someone00Friday, November 29, 2013 at 6:23 pm
                Wow. I got A+ on almost all my subjects, but that is SO little compared to his high GPA of 4.0 in college.
                • watsThursday, October 31, 2013 at 5:07 pm
                  ok, why is this 4 yrs old
                  • jthxduigjseugTuesday, April 30, 2013 at 7:29 pm
                    he must know what 1002776566575 divided by 227272727 is at the top of his head
                    • hyper_monkey
                      hyper_monkeyTuesday, April 30, 2013 at 3:21 pm
                      Is that even, um, POSSIBLE?!
                      • hyper_monkey
                        hyper_monkeySaturday, January 25, 2014 at 4:55 pm
                        He's got to be, like, socially awkward. How does he make friends? Not that he doesn't seem like a good kid. He does. But, if it were me, I wouldn't want to be friends with someone that smart. It could be harmful to my self-confidence. I feel bad for him.
                        • 00someone00
                          00someone00Friday, November 29, 2013 at 6:24 pm
                          I know, right? I think that is so creepy to have a 11 year old in your class in college that is the top student.

Vocabulary