Are These The World's Most Annoying Sounds?

By Meera Dolasia on October 15, 2012

CCSS NAS-1 Word Search

What is the most unpleasant sounds to the human ear? That, was the big scientific mystery that researchers at the Welcome Trust Center for Neuroimaging at UCL and Newcastle University in England, wished to solve. So, they recruited a group of 13 people and subjected them to 74 different noises that we encounter in our everyday lives.

In order to make the results as objective and unbiased as possible, they determined the reactions, not by the listeners' expressions but by measuring their brain activity with an MRI scanner. What they discovered was that while sounds are normally processed in the brain's auditory cortex, unpleasant sounds - identified as those with a frequency of between 2,000 and 5,000 Hz - seem to activate the amygdala neurons that aid in processing emotions, making us more sensitive to that particular noise, which is why we consider it irritating or pleasing depending on what it is.

The study which was led by Dr. Sukbiner Kuman was conducted to better understand how the human brain reacts to different sound decimals, which will in turn aid scientists to better understand medical conditions like migraines or autism, where the sufferers are very sensitive to noise.

So what are the sounds that make our hair stand? Here, are the top five as revealed by the scientists in a report published in the Journal of Science earlier this month. What will probably come as a surprise (or maybe not), is that two of them are noises most of you encounter on a regular basis.

In case you are wondering, the sound that the 13 people found most pleasant was that of bubbling water! Did you find the noises as annoying? If not, be sure to let us know what noises irritate you the most, by adding your comments below.

Resources: Telegraph.co.uk, popsci.com

• bobertSunday, November 16, 2014 at 1:53 pm
    I found none of these annoying
    • kell-bell
      kell-bellWednesday, November 12, 2014 at 4:24 pm
      ruler on a bottle was actually pretty cool. :)
      • kell-bell
        kell-bellWednesday, November 12, 2014 at 4:24 pm
        CHAAAAALK. SAVE ME FROM THE CHAAALK.
        • MeFriday, November 7, 2014 at 1:27 pm
          I also hate it when dull pencils are writing on paper and the wood scrapes onto it. BUT I SERIOULSY HATE THIS SOUND: when little kids take markers ( especially the ones that are running out of ink) AND SEVERELY SCRIBBLE AND QUICKLY DRAW WITH THEM. THAT. SOUND. IS. NOT. BEARABLE. seriously. AT ALL.
          • MeFriday, November 7, 2014 at 1:25 pm
            strange thing was, the sounds I listened to ( above) irritated me only a little. They were mostly bearable. I guess it's because I don't actually see them doing it....
            • MeFriday, November 7, 2014 at 1:23 pm
              I hate fingers scratching trampolines, seat belts, car ceilings ( unless they are leather ) , car seats ( unless they are leather), forks on plates, and sharp things on chalkboards. They give me chills and irritate my teeth.
              • swi123
                swi123Wednesday, October 29, 2014 at 9:34 am
                ughh my ears hurt!!!
                • willows
                  willowsTuesday, October 28, 2014 at 4:52 pm
                  Ugh, I..I had CHILLS
                  • happypug12
                    happypug12Tuesday, October 28, 2014 at 4:41 pm
                    Yes, these sounds are totally annoying and I do NOT like them.
                    • whats 9+10 21Wednesday, October 22, 2014 at 3:47 pm
                      i hate those sounds

Vocabulary

amygdalaauditoryautismencounterenglandexpressionsmigrainesmriobjectiverecruitedunbiased