Minecraft As A Mandatory Subject In School? Sweet!

By Meera Dolasia on January 19, 2013

CCSS NCSS-7 Word Search

Sweden has to be one of the coolest places for a kid to grow up in - First, they introduced the concept of schools with no grades or classrooms, then came Monstrum's amazing playgrounds and now, the coolest idea of all - 'Forcing' 13-year-olds to play Minecraft as part of the classroom curriculum.

The seed for this rather radical idea was planted when the government of Sweden organized a national school competition called 'Future City' for which classrooms were asked to submit their ideas about the kind of structures they envisioned in the Sweden of the future.

It was such a success that educators at Stockholm's Viktor Rydberg school decided to continue this 'out of the box' thinking by incorporating Minecraft into the class curriculum for 13-year-students.

According to the teachers, the game which challenges kids to use their imagination by building virtual worlds complete with electricity grids, water supply pumps and anything else they would like to see in their future, allows students to think beyond the classroom frontiers. This they believe, will help them make better decisions as adults, especially about things like the environmental impact of their actions. And while it may sound radical to most people they liken it to teaching a woodcraft class - except in this case, all the construction is being conducted in a virtual world.

So far, 180, 13-year girls and boys, have participated in this mandatory unit, which not surprisingly has been such a huge hit that the school is planning to make it a permanent addition to their curriculum. It of course augments, not replaces, core subjects like math and science. The educators say that even parents who were a little apprehensive about their kids playing video games at school, are now on board and fully support this decision.

We wonder if any school in the US would even consider such a drastic curriculum addition - And how parents would react. What do you think? Be sure to let us know, by adding your comments below.

Resources: The local.se, gizmag.com

• happypug12
    happypug12Sunday, November 23, 2014 at 7:33 am
    What is the most amazing thing u have ever built in Minecraft?
    • bobo900
      bobo900Friday, November 21, 2014 at 3:35 pm
      I really want this to happen at my school.
      • Yugal GautamFriday, November 21, 2014 at 2:24 pm
        This would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
        • jaguar101Friday, November 21, 2014 at 12:38 pm
          whats the point
          • lazercorn
            lazercornFriday, November 21, 2014 at 12:00 pm
            whoever made this made it on my birthday
            • coolgirl12321
              coolgirl12321Friday, November 21, 2014 at 11:28 am
              I love minecraft its like my top game XD
              • lazercorn
                lazercornFriday, November 21, 2014 at 12:00 pm
                mine too
                • nikukyu
                  nikukyuFriday, November 21, 2014 at 5:31 pm
                  Me 3 !! Me LOV mine craft!
              • animaljam22
                animaljam22Friday, November 21, 2014 at 11:22 am
                I play minecraft every day and I made a mashin
                • nikukyu
                  nikukyuFriday, November 21, 2014 at 5:34 pm
                  I made a amusement park, a Ufo, a huge house inside a mountain, and e.t.c... I think I'm much better at creative than on survivable! Anyone agree? I y'all do, follow or like!
                  • happypug12
                    happypug12Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 4:07 am
                    Yeah, I am way better at creative than on Survival. Once, I spawned the Wither!
                    • happypug12
                      happypug12Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 4:07 am
                      Once I had spawned the Wither in Creative, it just looked at me, then it flew away.
                      • nikukyu
                        nikukyuSaturday, November 22, 2014 at 4:09 pm
                        OMG that's awesome! I usually play with my iPad, so there's not much of a variation. The rarest thing I saw in creative was a pink sheep!
                        • happypug12
                          happypug12Saturday, November 22, 2014 at 5:06 pm
                          Whoa, a pink sheep! Can you dye the sheep different colors, or are they always white, gray, and black?
                          • nikukyu
                            nikukyuSunday, November 23, 2014 at 1:44 am
                            I think in survivable ya can! When I saw it, I was like OMG qwick build a fence around it!!!! And it was great because I made a house right next to the fence where I held captive of the sheep, so I made the pink sheep the houses pet!
                            • happypug12
                              happypug12Sunday, November 23, 2014 at 7:23 am
                              Cool, nikukyu! Did the pink sheep ever escape?
                • coolFriday, November 21, 2014 at 10:59 am
                  this is so cool i could just kill you in minecraft
                  • JjvejjhejjwjfhuFriday, November 21, 2014 at 10:07 am
                    I so want thos to happen.
                    • coolFriday, November 21, 2014 at 8:23 am
                      wow minecraft is so cool that i have every game

Vocabulary

apprehensivecurriculumdrasticenvironmentalenvisionedfrontiersincorporatingmandatoryradicalreactsweden

Stockholm, Sweden