Even Wimbledon Champs Have Homework!

The last two weeks have been a dream come true for 14-year old tennis player Laura Robson. She only not became the youngest Wimbledon Junior Champion since Martina Hingis in 1994, but also the first Briton to win the title since Annabel Croft, in 1984.

She celebrated her victory in style, first by going to Pizza Hut with her family the night she won, and then by attending the Champions Ball on Sunday - decked out in a designer black dress and pink shoes!

However, now the party is over and it's back to normal life - that means doing her homework, preparing for GSCE's (University entrance exams) and yes - even cleaning her room!

Laura started showing interest in tennis at the age of 5, when she would join her mother for a game of doubles. Fortunately for her, by the time she turned six and a half, they moved to a house, which was within walking distance from the All-England Club (where Wimbledon is played).

Here Laura watched Martina Hingis - the youngest Wimbledon Juniors title winner practice and became a huge fan of hers. When Martina heard about this talented young girl, she invited her to train with her in Switzerland. According to Laura, this was the turning point in her life - she came back determined to become a champion.

Initially, she would get up at 6.00am in the morning to get in a practice before school started. However, as she became more serious, she started being home-schooled. Laura now spends half her day with schoolwork and the other half playing tennis.

Though Laura has become a celebrity in Britain, at home she is just a member of an accomplished family. Her mother was a professional basketball player and her brother is an amazing swimmer.

While Laura's mom is proud of her, she believes this is just the first step towards the ultimate goal - a victory in the Wimbledon Women's final. She also believes that Laura's life should continue as normal for now - which includes doing her chores at home!

Though Laura didn't get any prize money for winning the Junior title, it qualified her to get a wild card (automatic) entry to compete in the women's championships next year, which by itself will be an amazing experience - and ......... she may even win!

Sources: Telegraph.co.uk, DailyMail.co.uk

• yerik.morales Wednesday, October 31, 2018 at 9:50 am
    this is amazing you are a master I
    • turtlenicole
      turtlenicoleSaturday, December 6, 2014 at 7:02 pm
      Like this if you love swimming, figure skating, badmington, tennis, or soccer. Personally, I love them all! ...What do you think?
      • pickerr
        pickerrTuesday, March 10, 2015 at 3:34 pm
        thanks!! i love four of them, since I have not figure skated before. i bet it would be fun though. besides those, like this if you like baseball, running, and hockey!!
        • bibliophile
          bibliophileSunday, December 7, 2014 at 9:26 am
          Same I love them all too... but personally I like swimming a bit more than all of them... :-)
          • peacheslarue
            peacheslarueMonday, December 8, 2014 at 5:58 pm
            I luv thos sports (ecxept badminton and tennis cuz ive never tried dem) And remember TAE KWON DO!!! HYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAA!!!
        • nikukyu
          nikukyuSaturday, November 29, 2014 at 5:45 am
          She is pretty. It's not fair to have homework:(
          • shivi483
            shivi483Sunday, December 7, 2014 at 2:55 am
            It is just part of life
            • peacheslarue
              peacheslarueSaturday, December 6, 2014 at 7:05 pm
              She is really pretty! But if she didnt do any homework and just played tennis all day she would become a social outcadst and not get into a good college or university!
              • nikukyu
                nikukyuSaturday, December 6, 2014 at 11:32 pm
                That's bad. :P
                • peacheslarue
                  peacheslarueSunday, December 7, 2014 at 7:38 am
                  Ikr! i hate homework ;'*P
                  • flowergirl11
                    flowergirl11Sunday, December 7, 2014 at 2:11 pm
                    I love homework why did you just make fun of my fabulous homework? And BTW I'm also girly2
            • nikukyu
              nikukyuSaturday, November 29, 2014 at 5:44 am
              I love badminton but there's no badminton club in our middle school. So, when I go there, I think I would try the tennis club cuz it's the closest thing to badminton.
              • analise
                analiseSaturday, December 6, 2014 at 2:39 pm
                My school does!
                • bibliophile
                  bibliophileSaturday, December 6, 2014 at 7:00 pm
                  Same my school does too; except we have to play badminton in PE for one of our unit... and there's a club...
                  • nikukyu
                    nikukyuSaturday, December 6, 2014 at 4:34 pm
                    Lucky! Are you in it? Wait, let me guess.... I think you would be in.... The swimming team! Am I correct? I think you mentioned that on the 'champion at fourteen' article that you're nationally ranked at it! I wish you the best of luck!! I'm taking swimming lessons but I'm not very good at it. Or it's just that I don't find it fun:( I'm glad that you found the perfect sport for you, the way I found badminton!
                    • turtlenicole
                      turtlenicoleSaturday, December 6, 2014 at 7:00 pm
                      nice:)
                      • analise
                        analiseSaturday, December 6, 2014 at 5:27 pm
                        What a thoughtful comment! I appreciate it, nikukyu!
                  • imdabomb
                    imdabombThursday, March 28, 2013 at 4:10 pm
                    Totally stinks
                    • aman99
                      aman99Monday, November 5, 2012 at 12:41 pm
                      ha ha ha ha that must stink for her ha ha ha ha ha
                      • kMonday, March 14, 2011 at 9:52 am
                        wow.
                        • MimiSunday, February 6, 2011 at 8:39 am
                          First the worst, second the pest, third is the one with the tresure chest!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA knocked you guys off!
                          • babSaturday, September 18, 2010 at 7:56 am
                            first the worst, second the best!! HA hA say109!!!!!!!
                            • say109Friday, June 11, 2010 at 9:45 am
                              yes i am the first to comment and it's 2 years later!