When The Sun Erupts
Listen to Article
North America's, National Aeronautics And Space Administration (NASA) today released rare footage of Solar Prominences - large glowing clouds of gas erupting from the Sun's surface.
The spectacular images of the eruptions that occured over a 30-hour period on September 26th and 27th, were captured by the twin STEREO (Solar TErrestrial RElations Observatory) spacecraft, imaginatively dubbed Ahead and Behind, based on their positions in Space. The spacecraft were launched in 2006 to provide NASA with a three dimensional view of the Sun.
Solar Prominences are huge arcs of gas that erupt from the surface of the Sun. They occur because of the solar activity cycle. As is well-known, the sun is a huge magnetic ball of gas, held in place by a magnetic field. As the sun rotates, the heat in its interior, churns the cooler, subsurface gas layer creating giant gas bubbles.
Ever so often, the bubbles breach the surface of the sun and break out. When they reach 30,000 miles above the surface of the Sun - like this one did, they release huge amounts of material, at speeds of up to 2,160,000 mph, before dissipating - and appear as though the Sun is erupting!
sources: englishcctv.com, Solar Prominence ,telegraph.com.uk
Learn Keywords in this Article
- marshallabout 10 yearslooks so stunning
- aleishaabout 10 yearstaylor1626 is cool this artical
- aleishaabout 10 yearswow u peeps123 is awesome the artical is so so cool
- SunnySurferover 10 yearsWow
- regretalmost 11 yearscool never knew that the sun erupts!
- Leila Liabout 11 yearsIt's a good article!!!!!!!!!
- jazzychicover 11 yearshey, awwwwww, its not about 2012, its just a scientific discovery. And either way, God has a plan for us, and there's nothing we can do about it. I dont even believe that the world will end. KEWL ARTICLE THOUGH!
- Johnalmost 12 yearsMe too.
- Micahabout 12 yearsi can't watch the video
- u r fatabout 12 yearsthis is the best piece of since ever