'Otzi' - The Iceman, Now Online!
Listen to Article
Stunning pictures of Otzi the Iceman, the world's oldest frozen mummy can now be viewed online, thanks to Italy's Institute for Mummies and The Iceman. Discovered by two hikers on a mountain range between Austria and Italy,, ,, it is believed that Otzi inhabited the Earth 5,300 years or 53 centuries ago! Until recently, the mummy, which resides in a refrigerated room, in a specially-built museum in Bolzano, Italy, could only be viewed there, and that too, only through portholes.
In order to allow more people to get a view of this amazingly intact skeleton, without jeopardizing it, the researchers at the museum decided to take pictures and create a special website. The photos were selected from a collection of 150,000 high definition pictures shot from twelve different angles, and provide visitors with a view that is even better than seeing Otzi 'live'. In keeping with modern-day technology, the photos can also be viewed in 3-D, with the right glasses.
Otzi has been one of the most remarkable finds in archeological history. His remains were so intact that scientists even found evidence of meat and unleavened bread in his intestine - his last meal consumed about eight hours before he died.
Beside him were all his tools, including a bow and arrow, dagger and copper axe. Even more surprising was the sophisticated clothing found, comprising of a hide coat, an intricately woven grass cloak, leggings, loin cloth and shoes.
Otzi's body was marked with over 57 tattoos, which scientists believe may have been acupuncture treatment for his arthritic knees.
It is thought that Otzi died from exhaustion and an old unhealed arrow wound, on his back. At the time of his death, he was 45 years old, 5.5 ft tall and weighed about 112lbs.
Over the years, Otzi has remained quite popular, and is the subject of many books and even a play. And if you happen to visit the Bolzano museum, you can purchase many Otzi souvenirs, including an Otzi drink. To view additional pictures of this iceman be sure to check out his website - http://www.icemanphotoscan.eu/
Sources: wilderdom.com, telegraph.co.uk, dailymail.co.uk
- dolajely-1601786531887 monthscool
- macieiscool12311 monthsWOW this is so cool omg I love this ;)
- jiuunlyabout 1 yearwow so cool
- how_bizarre5over 1 yeari like the pictures of the mummy i was always confused what a mummy without the wraping looks like idk what the wraping is
- chickenwingboyover 1 yearThis is a really fascinating story, and i was surprised by many of things in this video and passage.
- cupcakekitty8almost 2 yearsA little creepy......... but cool.
- x_goddess_xabout 2 yearsCreepy with all the pictures! *Shiver*
- cupcakekitty8almost 2 yearsIKR
- cutepup25about 2 yearsWow
- afurrywolfkidover 2 yearsintrestin
- bebravestaywildover 2 yearsYeah that is cool!