Portland's Green Gym Harnesses Human Energy

By Meera Dolasia on December 20, 2010

Word Search

While it may not appear to be so - Thanks to all the equipment and television screens, not to mention the bright lights, constant air-conditioning or heating, gyms are big energy users - A little ironic when you consider how much energy people expand whilst working out. Though there has been some sporadic attempts to harness the energy, nobody has taken it to the level of Portland-based Green Microgym.

The gym, whose mission is to help people not only look good, but also do good whilst exercising, is equipped with specially configured exercise bicycles that captures the energy created while pedaling and channels it to outlets which power other equpment in the gym.

The 3,000 sq.ft. facility does not give its 200 plus members any discounts for the energy they help generate, but they do give out bragging rights in the form of green cards, which, depending on the watts of energy generated, helps members earn gift cards from local merchants.

The gym estimates that an average workout generates about 37.5 watt hours just enough, to power a phone for a week. Despite all the energy generated by its members and additional green energy captured by the Solar Panels that line its roof, the gym is not completely carbon neutral, which means it still depends on conventional electricity. But, according to the owner, if all the equipment inside the gym is used at the same time, it can generate 10 times the energy needed to run the entire facility, at that given moment.

As Green Microgym gets ready to open its second location, many other gyms in America are following it's lead by installing machines that harness the human energy that gets generated vigorously inside their premises every day.

Sources: Treehugger.com, Inhabitat.com

Listen to the Article: Play Audio

Create MLA, Chicago, or APA Website Citation

Create a website citation for this article. We support MLA8, MLA7, APA, and Chicago citation formats.

VocabularyPlay Game

configuredconventionalironicsporadicvigorously
  • cupcake16Monday, May 4, 2015 at 5:44 pm
    this article is really cool! i agree!
    • Hi thereThursday, March 19, 2015 at 12:37 pm
      Omg this is a good artical
      • cutebunny
        cutebunnyThursday, March 19, 2015 at 12:18 pm
        Cool
        • ReespearsThursday, March 19, 2015 at 12:14 pm
          Does anyone know if so girly is on??
          • QuincyThursday, March 19, 2015 at 12:09 pm
            Wow that is really cool and I'm only in fourth grade and I'm 8
            • So girlyThursday, March 19, 2015 at 12:06 pm
              Omg if I had a guy that worked out there I would have a nice husband
              • ReespearsThursday, March 19, 2015 at 12:05 pm
                Cooooooool!!!
                • HelloThursday, December 4, 2014 at 5:03 pm
                  Wow! That is super cool! I would go to a gym if they had one like that in my area.
                  • hiThursday, December 4, 2014 at 1:59 pm
                    So cool !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    • that is cool Wednesday, December 3, 2014 at 6:40 pm
                      i like that people actully care about the earth now i used to get so upset when i saw trash all over the place now people are figuring out ways to save the earth that makes me happy i want to live as long as i can and ill be able to do that if we all help the earth and not hurt the earth so ill be able to live as long as i can and im pretty sure that other people want to live life to the fullest so that made me happy and i will try to help