Trouble - The 12-Million Dollar Dog Is No More!
Listen to Article
In 2007, an eight-year old Maltese dog named Trouble made headlines all over the world, after it was revealed that its owner, New York billionaire Leona Helmsley, had bequeathed him a whopping $12mm USD.
What made the situation even worse is that the heiress, nicknamed Queen of Mean, had not left a single penny for two of her grandchildren, and much less than $12mm USD for two others.
Ms. Helmsley's reasoning behind the rather excessive amount was that she wanted Trouble to continue living the life of luxury he had been accustomed to, when she had been alive. His numerous indulgences included a 28-room mansion, a personal chef to cook his meals and a person to hand feed him, so that every now and again, he could nip off a finger or two.
While a New York judge reduced the inheritance to $2mm USD, some members of Ms. Helmsley's family were so upset, that the pooch allegedly received over 20 death and kidnapping threats, forcing his caretaker, Carl Lekic, to retain a full-time bodyguard.
On Thursday, June 9th, Mr. Lekic revealed that Trouble had passed away in his retirement home in Florida. The now 12-year-old (84 in dog years) had lost his eyesight and suffered numerous other health issues in his final year.
While Ms. Helmsley had hoped to re-unite with her beloved dog by requesting that he be buried next to her, the cemetery where she lays, refused to allow that - Instead, the Maltese was cremated, though there is no word on where his ashes were scattered. Hopefully, Trouble will be able to seek out his beloved mistress in his after life.
As for the money left over from his $2mm USD inheritance? It will just be added to The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust, and used for a good cause.
Learn Keywords in this Article
- Wow! Trouble really did cause trouble!
- songunicorn17over 1 yearR.I.P. Trouble! 😢 such a sad article They should respect someone's final wishes to death in my opinion!!!
- songunicorn17over 1 yearThis reminds me of a movie on Netflix!! Called Doggone Trouble! It is almost the same story the lady dies..the niece and nephew get 2mm but get rid of Trouble not wishing their aunt's final wishes to take care of trouble.
- unknown_user13over 1 yearR.I.P Trouble, you will always be remembered.
- karatehedgehog4over 1 yearTrouble that's such a cute name r.i.p. you will be missed 👋🏼
- strawberrydonutabout 2 yearsThey should have let the dog be buried next to their owner! Also, R.I.P trouble, you will be missed.
- playstationxmasover 1 yearYes, you should honor a person's final wishes!!!
- Even if it's a dog
- strawberrydonutabout 2 yearsAlso, who would give a DOG death threats!? People these days are horrible!
- Totally agree!
- playstationxmasover 1 yearYes, you are right, people should not be so awful! I will follow you now!
- bscabout 2 yearsRIP Trouble.
- wolfy_blueabout 2 yearsRest in peace Trouble.
- kiki16about 2 yearsRIP TROUBLE😭😭😭😭😭😭
- junewolfabout 2 yearsRIP trouble