Montreal Animation Design Students Concoct The Best Internet Hoax Ever!
Listen to Article
On Tuesday December 18th, the web was abuzz with some sensational news - A toddler playing in a park in Montreal, Canada had been suddenly scooped up by a massive golden eagle, taken for a quick spin and then, dropped back safely - All in broad daylight ! Of course, to prove that it really happened the whole incident was caught on camera and downloaded on YouTube!
Not surprisingly, the video immediately went viral and many, including people from the media, actually believed what they saw. However, after garnering about five million views, some smart people began questioning the whole incident and wondering, if it was just a very clever hoax.
Turns out, those skeptics were right because this cleverly filmed video was actually the brilliant work of some students at Montreal's National Animation and Design Center. Normand Archambault, Loïc Mireault and Félix Marquis-Poul, who are all pursuing a 3D Animation and Digital Design degree program, created the video for the school's annual 'hoax the internet' exam.
As to some of the inconsistencies that gave the prank away?
The erratic shadow of the eagle and the fact that at a certain angle, one of its wings goes missing. Also, the toddler keeps going at an even faster momentum after he has been dropped off by the bird. But most glaring of all, is the fact that a majority of the people in the park do not even seem to have noticed what is going on.
As to how the kid and eagle entered the video? They were just the result of some very clever 3D animation, inserted into previously filmed footage of the park.
This is not the first time this school has pulled off a clever internet hoax. Below, is the video produced for the same exam by students in 2011. Did either video have you fooled even for a minute? Be sure you to let us know, by adding your comments below!
Learn Keywords in this Article
- am-olm1over 3 yearsThe penguin looks so real right?
- cooliosalmost 4 yearsit looks so real!
- gameboy333over 5 yearspenguin not real
- smishball123almost 7 yearsLOL😜
- hoohaja kidover 7 yearswhere did the penguin come from?????Totally weird and cool!
- genius1326almost 8 yearsCool. Programing always fascinates me.
- ayush71005about 8 yearsawesome
- bigmeloabout 8 yearsOh, boy. Don't you think internet hoaxes are fascinating? Well, as long as you're able to pull it off... :)
- am-olm1over 3 yearsYep
- vvover 8 yearsthe penguin is a clever animation.
- hatergirlover 8 yearsWow weird:/