Record High Readings Of Carbon Dioxide Raise Concern
Listen to Article
On Thursday, May 9th, 2013, Federal scientists overseeing the oldest greenhouse gas monitoring system situated in Hawaii, reported that worldwide levels of carbon dioxide, the chief culprit behind global warming had reached 400 parts per million, a milestone never been encountered by humans before.
According to Pieter Tans, a researcher at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, the last time the earth encountered this high a level of carbon dioxide was about 2 million years ago during the Pleistocene era. During this time the earth was much warmer, Greenland was actually green - comprising of forest instead of ice and the sea levels were at least 33-66 feet higher.
So how significant is this number which happens to be a daily figure? The reality is that it is no worse or better than levels measuring 399 or ever 398 parts per million. Its significance is largely symbolic in warning us that unless something drastic is done soon to reverse this trend, things can only get worse.
While there a number of greenhouse gases, carbon dioxide is the most watched, thanks to the fact that it accounts for three-quarters of the planet's heat trapping gases. And while methane is more efficient at trapping heat, it has a shorter lifespan. Carbon dioxide on the other hand stays in the atmosphere for centuries, causing temperatures to rise over time.
The good news is that the trend can be reversed, because the increase in carbon dioxide, which is the by-product of the burning of fossil fuels like coal for electricity and oil for gasoline, is a direct result of human activity. According to experts, in 2011 we managed to add an average of 2.4 million pounds of carbon dioxide into the air every second, totaling a massive 38.2 billion tons for the year. China leads the pack with over 10 billion tons of carbon dioxide per year, with the amount increasing 10% annually. The U.S. is in second place with 5.9 billion tons, but thankfully, the number is decreasing every year.
What's concerning scientist more than this unprecedented milestone of 400 parts per million, is the rapid pace at which the greenhouse gas is increasing. They believe that plants and animals can adapt when climate changes occur slowly over thousands of years, but not if the changes come within a short period of time, which is what is happening currently. What is even more alarming is that if the oceans were not absorbing some of the gas, the levels would be even higher! Hopefully, the world will start to take heed soon and try reverse this rapidly worsening situation.
Resources: huffingtonpost.com, weather.com
Learn Keywords in this Article
- Zackover 5 yearsI really like how you took your time to explain your work and of what Co2 is
- Zackover 5 yearsCool info
- Austinover 5 yearsCool info
- eypover 6 yearsThis is bad for the earth.
- kaylaiceover 7 yearsWhat is pumpkin pie?
- warrior-thecuteover 7 yearsA pumpkin pie is just how you say it it is just pumpkin made into a pie
- diamondkidabout 8 yearsI did a research on this.
- shivi483about 8 yearsAwesome
- love is hardover 8 yearswhat is dry ice
- eypover 6 yearsIt is ice madeof liquid nitrogen.
- Mr. Spongeover 9 yearsThe amount of Carbon Dioxide in the air does contribute to Global Warming. Carbon Dioxide is a Greenhouse Gas these trap heat. Due to the large amounts of Carbon Dioxide, the energy from the sun (as heat) is trapped in the earth's atmosphere causing an increase in temperature
- alohiover 9 yearswow
- bitlin26almost 10 years"Global Warming" has nothing to do with the level of CO2 in the air! In fact, When the Post War Economic Boom (The end of World War II and when people started to advance in technology by a lot, AND when the CO2 levels were rising like quicksand over a ranger) the Earth's climate went down! This fact proves that "Global Warming" isn't real. The earth is going through a phase where the climate goes up. I'm not saying we shouldn't stop pollution or anything like that. I wanna breath clean, too! All I'm saying is "Global Warming" is simply not real.
- kaygosover 9 yearsit is