McLaren MP4-12C Joins Dubai's Fleet Of Super Fast Police Cars
Listen to Article
While in most cities the policemen and women are held in high esteem for their bravery, in Dubai they are admired for the cars they drive. That's because among their ever growing fleet of fast cars is a Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG, a Ferrari FF, a Lamborghini Aventador, a Bentley Continental and even a $2.6mm USD Aston Martin One-77. On December 24th, the officials announced their latest acquisition - A
Named 'Car of the Year' and 'Best Supercar' at the Middle East Motor awards in November, it is the first sports car wholly built and designed by McLaren, since the F1 was discontinued in 1998. Made entirely from carbon fiber, the $278,000 USD car weighs 2,879 lbs, far less than conventional cars that range from 3,300 - 3,747 lbs. Fitted with a 3.8 liter twin-turbo charged engine, the 625 horsepower car boasts a top speed of 207mph (333 km/h) and can accelerate from 0-60 mph in a speedy quick 2.9 seconds and 0-124 mph in less than 8.9 seconds.
Custom-made for the Dubai police, it sports the flagship green and white colors of the force. The 2020 registration number plate is a nod to the city's successful bid to host the 2020 World Expo, an exhibition that showcases business, creative and economic innovation.
In case you are wondering how the police are able to fit offenders in all these two-seat roadsters, the answer is they are not, and don't really wish to. That's because these super speedy cars are promotional tools to impress tourists. They are therefore not expected to chase down hard core offenders but to catch those that break mundane laws like blocking traffic or parking in prohibited zones!
Not surprisingly, many locals conduct these 'crimes' on purpose and according to Khalifa Abdullah Mohammed, the lucky policeman behind the 217mph Lamborghini Aventador, many beg to be arrested when caught. Dubai is probably the only city in the world where an approaching policeman or woman is met with a broad smile!
Resources: Dailymail.co.uk, stuff,co.uk, motorauthority.com
Learn Keywords in this Article
- kavinkhan112about 1 yearI like cars I know all about this, this is very interesting to me!
- personondogonwsabout 1 yearImagine this coming after you, simply because you took a Hershey’s bar from a local store.
- best_of_today5 monthslol that would be a bit overkill... still though
- x_goddess_xalmost 2 yearsMy brother knows about this, I don't. But interesting!
- lamboloverabout 3 yearsmp4 12cs are so dope, o-60 in 3.2s i think.
- gufxdzgxcfhvghu12 monthsthose are nice cars not to lie
- GraisonAndersonover 3 yearsSo cool 😎 bro
- Bruh over 3 yearsI have an uncle in Dubai that drives the mclaren police car
- bob the builderover 3 yearsi love building cars and supercars so this interested me to read
- kulajyla-157002364332over 3 yearsThis is dope
- this kidover 3 yearslove super cars
- totally legit almost 4 yearsmy grandma owns a Lamborghini, Ferrari, and Aston Martin
- lamboloverabout 3 yearsno way