Thousands of Pikachus Take Over Japanese Streets

CCSS
Pikachu Outbreak (Photo Credit: @yosum58 via twitter)

For the past four years, the Minato Mirai district of Yokohama, Japan has been bringing Pokémon’s most famous character to life with a Pikachu Outbreak Festival. The event, which features numerous fun activities, including colorful parades with thousands of people dressed in Pikachu costumes, began in 2014 to promote an upcoming Pokémon movie. It was such a success that its sponsors, the Pokémon Company, decided to make it an annual, week-long extravaganza.

This year’s festival, held from August 9 to 15, had a Brazilian carnival theme and attracted almost two million fans. Entitled “Pikachu Dake Ja Nai Pikachu Tairyo Hasseichu” or “The Not Just Pikachu Pikachu Outbreak,” the event, co-sponsored by Niantic the developer and publisher of mobile game Pokémon Go, was the first of its kind to include other popular Pocket Monsters as well.

2016 Pikachu Outbreak (Photo Credit: The Pokemon Company)

The week-long celebration of the electric rodents featured multiple free shows, including a “Pikachu stroll,” where 20 Pikachus departed Queen’s Square Yokohama, swaying side-to-side to a whistle. A welcome addition to this year’s festivities was the “Dripping Wet Splash Show,” which provided both audience and participants with some much-needed relief from the hot sun. 2017 also boasted the largest Pikachu Carnival Parade, where performers and more than 100 Pikachus danced to a Latin-inspired tune.

The highlight of the festival was the opportunity for Pokémon GO Trainers to traverse Yokohama and its beautiful parks and capture over 120 million Pokémon, including over 15 million Pikachus as well as other hard-to-find Pocket Monsters such as Chansey and Larvitar. For a thrilling finale, on August 14, some Pokémon masters teamed up with friends and other players to battle the game’s most valuable character, Mewtwo, at the specially created Pokémon GO park.

Pokémon Go Stadium (Photo Credit: PokemonGolive.com)

The Yokohama Pokémon GO celebration, the largest real-world gaming event yet, was one of many organized by Niantic to celebrate the mobile game’s one-year anniversary. The company has also held successful Pokémon Go Fests in Illinois, Denmark, Prague, Sweden, and the Netherlands, and many more are scheduled in various other European countries before the end of the year.

Resources: Pokemongolive.com,japantimes.co.jp,tourcharade.com,yokohomajapan.com

• chloeparker
    chloeparkerThursday, April 2, 2020 at 7:47 am
    Wow i❤ Pokemon 👍& follow me if you do to
    • chloeparker
      chloeparkerFriday, April 3, 2020 at 10:26 am
      I miss you to guys I'm on the plane home tomorrow see you then? I guess
    • ashcatchem
      ashcatchemWednesday, April 1, 2020 at 5:41 pm
      I wanna be the very best like no one ever was. To catch them is my real test, to train them is my cause! I will travel across the land, searching far and wide, each Pokemon to understand the power that's inside, Pokemon gotta catch them all! It's you and me, I know it's my Destiny! POKEMON! Oh your my best friend, in a world we must defend, Pokemon gotta catch them all! A heart so true, our courage will pull us through! You teach me and I teach you, Pokemon! Gotta catch them all! (Gotta catch them all!) POKEMON!😎
      • ashcatchem
        ashcatchemWednesday, April 1, 2020 at 12:52 pm
        I wanna be the very best like no one ever was. To catch them is my real test, to train them is my cause! I will travel across the land, searching far and wide, each Pokemon to understand, the power that's inside. Pokemon! Gotta catch them all! It's you and me, I know it's my Destiny! Pokemon oh, your my best friend, in a world we must defend, Pokemon gotta catch them all! A heart so true, our courage will pull us through! You teach me and I teach you, Pokemon gotta catch them all! (Gotta catch them all!) POKEMON!😎
        • ashcatchem
          ashcatchemWednesday, April 1, 2020 at 8:07 am
          HEY! IT'S ME, ASH KETCHUM!😇😅😅 I'm a Pokemon master!😎😎😎😎😎😎😎 wait a minute... Wait what? My best friendPikachu is famous!!!!!😎 go on buddy! I know you can do it! #I wanna be the very best like no one ever was!
          • pika-chu
            pika-chuThursday, April 2, 2020 at 9:08 am
            Pika Pikachu !
          • cinnamonroll12
            cinnamonroll12Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 4:28 pm
            If u know the language of Pikachu u should know what comes next. Pika Pik?
            • cinnamonroll12
              cinnamonroll12Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 4:24 pm
              I would love to be in this, especially because this is where I want to live in the future. I would just go up to them and give them a huge hug to make their day.(A nd when the Pikachus game over, I'll be on their side so I can live i n a world full of Pikachus.😂
              • pikagirl123
                pikagirl123Tuesday, January 28, 2020 at 12:17 pm
                ahhh its a pika apocalipse
                • cherry_blossom
                  cherry_blossomWednesday, December 4, 2019 at 3:29 pm
                  I like pokemon but i've never played pokemon GO.
                  • cinnamonroll12
                    cinnamonroll12Saturday, March 21, 2020 at 4:26 pm
                    Omg you should play it!
                  • cjninja
                    cjninjaWednesday, November 13, 2019 at 4:08 pm
                    lol! its so funny:0
                    • SkittyMonday, November 4, 2019 at 1:19 pm
                      I wish i was at this festival