Thousands of Pikachus Take Over Japanese Streets

CCSS
Pikachu Outbreak (Photo Credit: @yosum58 via twitter)

For the past four years, the Minato Mirai district of Yokohama, Japan has been bringing Pokémon’s most famous character to life with a Pikachu Outbreak Festival. The event, which features numerous fun activities, including colorful parades with thousands of people dressed in Pikachu costumes, began in 2014 to promote an upcoming Pokémon movie. It was such a success that its sponsors, the Pokémon Company, decided to make it an annual, week-long extravaganza.

This year’s festival, held from August 9 to 15, had a Brazilian carnival theme and attracted almost two million fans. Entitled “Pikachu Dake Ja Nai Pikachu Tairyo Hasseichu” or “The Not Just Pikachu Pikachu Outbreak,” the event, co-sponsored by Niantic the developer and publisher of mobile game Pokémon Go, was the first of its kind to include other popular Pocket Monsters as well.

2016 Pikachu Outbreak (Photo Credit: The Pokemon Company)

The week-long celebration of the electric rodents featured multiple free shows, including a “Pikachu stroll,” where 20 Pikachus departed Queen’s Square Yokohama, swaying side-to-side to a whistle. A welcome addition to this year’s festivities was the “Dripping Wet Splash Show,” which provided both audience and participants with some much-needed relief from the hot sun. 2017 also boasted the largest Pikachu Carnival Parade, where performers and more than 100 Pikachus danced to a Latin-inspired tune.

The highlight of the festival was the opportunity for Pokémon GO Trainers to traverse Yokohama and its beautiful parks and capture over 120 million Pokémon, including over 15 million Pikachus as well as other hard-to-find Pocket Monsters such as Chansey and Larvitar. For a thrilling finale, on August 14, some Pokémon masters teamed up with friends and other players to battle the game’s most valuable character, Mewtwo, at the specially created Pokémon GO park.

Pokémon Go Stadium (Photo Credit: PokemonGolive.com)

The Yokohama Pokémon GO celebration, the largest real-world gaming event yet, was one of many organized by Niantic to celebrate the mobile game’s one-year anniversary. The company has also held successful Pokémon Go Fests in Illinois, Denmark, Prague, Sweden, and the Netherlands, and many more are scheduled in various other European countries before the end of the year.

Resources: Pokemongolive.com,japantimes.co.jp,tourcharade.com,yokohomajapan.com

• oojhfyjtujyukgj
    oojhfyjtujyukgjThursday, June 25, 2020 at 2:41 am
    I love pokemon my favorite starter pokemon is charmander and my favourite legendary pokemon has to be cute muw follow me if you agree
    • glxysnail2020
      glxysnail2020Monday, June 22, 2020 at 7:03 am
      My favorite pokemon is Marshadow and my favorite pokemon card is Darkrai prism star! What is your? P.S Have a nice day!
      • animereina2020
        animereina2020Wednesday, June 24, 2020 at 8:11 pm
        Mine is Pikachu!
      • glxysnail2020
        glxysnail2020Sunday, June 21, 2020 at 1:38 pm
        My favorite pokemon is Bunnelby! I love pokemon cards! Like and reply if you like Bunnelby! P.S Have a nice day! :D
        • emmynya
          emmynyaSunday, June 28, 2020 at 3:46 pm
          Bunnelby is cute.
        • spiky177
          spiky177Tuesday, June 16, 2020 at 8:14 am
          This is awesome
          • wolfiegamer3
            wolfiegamer3Tuesday, June 9, 2020 at 5:48 pm
            I loved that the performer pikachu s had costumes and my fave Pokemon is eevee comment down and tell me ur fave Pokemon
            • emmynya
              emmynyaSunday, June 28, 2020 at 3:48 pm
              me to, i have a lot of fav pokemon
              • emmynya
                emmynyaSunday, June 28, 2020 at 3:44 pm
                i have a lot of favs, but my fav legendary is Mew
                • animereina2020
                  animereina2020Wednesday, June 24, 2020 at 8:13 pm
                  I have a puppy named Eve! She has a lot of nicknames, and I call her Eevee sometimes! My fav is Pikachu, but I also luv Eevee! I think that Pikachu and Eevee would be perfect for a love story!
                • bulbavegie
                  bulbavegieWednesday, June 3, 2020 at 4:43 pm
                  my favourite is bulbasaur. hes actually the best kanto starter. my favourite legendary is dialga.
                  • l78
                    l78Friday, May 22, 2020 at 6:32 pm
                    I love pokèmon!!!!! My favourite is Poliwag!!!!!
                    • emmynya
                      emmynyaSunday, June 28, 2020 at 3:51 pm
                      Me too!
                      • emmynya
                        emmynyaSunday, June 28, 2020 at 3:49 pm
                        I love Pokemon too!
                      • breevee
                        breeveeSunday, May 17, 2020 at 9:06 am
                        I love Pokemon my favorite is eevee I love eevee so much I have a bulid -a-bear plushy of eevee
                        • animereina2020
                          animereina2020Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 7:56 pm
                          So cute! I was obsessed with Pokémon when I was a few years younger. I really loved Pikachu and I have my own plushie💕 I watched it all of the time, but that was the past. I would still love to go to Japan and see them😁
                          • chloeparker
                            chloeparkerThursday, April 2, 2020 at 7:47 am
                            Wow i❤ Pokemon 👍& follow me if you do to
                            • chloeparker
                              chloeparkerFriday, April 3, 2020 at 10:26 am
                              I miss you to guys I'm on the plane home tomorrow see you then? I guess