Help Smithsonian's National Zoo Name Its Adorable Giant Panda Cub
Listen to Article
While giant panda cubs are always popular, 22-year-old Mei Xiang's latest offspring, born at the Smithsonian's National Zoo on August 21, 2020, is particularly so. The daily live-stream of the adorable male cub, whose birth brought much-needed cheer during the COVID-19 pandemic, has garnered over a million virtual visitors. Hence, it is only fitting that zoo officials are asking fans to help name the precious 12-week-old.
Those wishing to participate can visit the National Zoo's website and choose from one of four names selected by the Zoo and Chinese partners. They include Fu Zai (Mandarin Chinese for "prosperous boy"), Xiao Qi ji (Mandarin Chinese for "little miracle"), Xing Fu (Mandarin Chinese for "happy and prosperous"), and Zai Zai (a traditional Mandarine Chinese nickname for a boy).
Fans can vote for their favorite name once per day from November 16, 2020, to Nov. 20, 2020. The most popular name will be announced and bestowed on the cub on November 23, 2020. Be sure to get your vote in today!
Get the Workbook for this article!Workbook contains: Article, Reading Comprehension, Critical Thinking Questions, Vocabulary in Context (+ answers), Multiple Choice Quiz (+ answers), Parts of Speech Quiz (+ answers), Vocabulary Game (+ answers)
Learn Keywords in this Article
- marinmoris161212 daysThey are my favorite animal. They are so cute when they are small
- jobygeabout 1 monthCute little panda
- swiftie13about 1 monthwait oreo is so cute
- bling_blingabout 2 monthsi love pandas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- surymererocu3 monthsso cute
- 466624 monthsCUTE
- staufftrinity6 monthsI think Oreo is a good name as well!
- zuccabella20144 monthsOreo's great!
- ninilai8 monthsSO CUTE
- zuccabella201410 monthsSO CUTE
- 30jyangabout 1 yearCute!! Oreo is a good name...
- mermaidforgames10 monthsI think Oreo is a good name too!