Children's Ferrari Replica Sets A New Price Record At Paris Auction
Listen to Article
When RM Sotheby's was commissioned to sell a Ferrari 330 P2 Junior, they expected it to fetch between $6,000 and $12,000 (5,000 to 10,000 euros). As it turned out, the experts had significantly underestimated the vehicle's value. On February 13, 2021, an enthusiastic bidder paid a record $145,445 (120,000 euros) — including the auctioneer's 20 percent commission — for the pristinely-preserved replica of one of Ferrari's finest 1960s sports-racing cars.
The classic Ferrari red children's vehicle, complete with racing roundels donned with the number three, measures 93 by 40 by 26 inches. The single-seater is fitted with a 5.0 horsepower gasoline Honda engine, similar to those used in go-karts. Bearing the serial number 28, it was built-to-order in 1990 by French car manufacturer De La Chapelle.
The company, primarily known for making replica cars powered with BMW, Peugeot, and Mercedes-Benz engines, began offering the "junior" vehicles for their client's children in the early 1980s. The stylish custom-made cars featured four-stroke engines with throttle and braking, headlights, indicators, leather seats, and even wood-rimmed steering wheels. They soon became the must-have children’s toys, especially among Ferrari owners.
The lucky owner of this ultra-cool Junior Ferrari will be able to test their racing skills at the Little Big Mans — the children's version of the famous Le Mans Classic car race — scheduled to take place in France from July 1 to July 4th, 2021. They will also be able to showcase the new acquisition at the second annual Junior Car Concours event in London, England, in September 2021.
The previous record for a children's car was held by a 1958 250 Ferrari Testa Rossa replica, which was sold at an RM Sotheby's auction in New York for $126,500 in 2013. The perfectly-preserved children's version of the iconic racing car is one of only five left from the 34 models produced by Ferrari between 1957 and 1958.
Resources: New Atlas.com, rmsothebys.com.
Get the Workbook for this article!Workbook contains: Article, Reading Comprehension, Critical Thinking Questions, Vocabulary in Context (+ answers), Multiple Choice Quiz (+ answers), Parts of Speech Quiz (+ answers), Vocabulary Game (+ answers)
Learn Keywords in this Article
- anthonyd214476 monthsThat's so cool i'm going to kms or tell my mom about this.
- unicornsupergir11 monthscool I just got a Lego car that's exactly like that
- therealfoxzie11 monthsi like Ferrari F40.
- princeasher11 monthsThe destine is cool really want one of these to drive around my neighborhood
- basketballanime12 monthsOMG that is sooo cool, sick!
- login7658about 1 yearthis is so intersting
- gagehardy71about 1 yearThe olympia charger in the video i have seen that car in person
- coi_lerayover 1 yearI have a kids car like that I love it might have to get this one to
- summer_beachover 1 yearMy grandma and grandpa got me, my little sister,(Contrygirl800) and my little brother a Colman go cart and they let us drive it in their corn feald ! Their is a road of grass in it. When I was driving my little brother in it on the way back up to the house, there was a steep hill and I thought it was going to flip it I went up it so I went into the field and got stuck because the wheels were stopped by two corn stems sticking out of the ground and it can't back up! So I filed sum of the parts out and hit the gas and we got out! After that I went up the hill and we didn't flip! Then we went a gen and that time we ran into little spiders! I LOVED it!
- polo2011over 1 yearI would LOVE THIS😍