Flying Cars May Finally Become A Reality!
Listen to Article
If Chinese automobile company Xpeng AeroHT has its way, we may soon be commuting on flying cars. The electric car manufacturer recently unveiled two radical flying vehicle models.
On October 10, 2022, the Xpeng X2 successfully completed its first public test flight in Dubai. The unmanned two-seater lifted off from Skydive Dubai on the opening day of the Gitex Global Technology Expo. X2's inaugural flight lasted just 90 seconds. It was witnessed by 150 conference attendees and officials.
The "teardrop-shaped" X2 is fitted with an electric engine and produces no carbon emissions. It is programmed to fly autonomously and can go up to 80 miles per hour (129km/h). X2's eight propellers — two at each corner of the vehicle — allow for vertical take-off and landing.
Shortly after X2's public debut, Xpeng AeroHT introduced a second flying car prototype. The Xpeng X3, unveiled in a video on October 24, 2022, is essentially a sports car with "wings." The company asserts that the X3 drives like a regular car in "ground mode." When the owner needs to fly, all they have to do is shift to "flight mode." The X3 will take off vertically. Once in the air, the "aircraft" can be piloted using the steering wheel and a right-hand gear lever.
Xpeng AeroHT is not the only car company developing flying cars. Over 500 companies are working on the endeavor. Even better, about two dozen models are currently in testing phases! At this rate, the future of flying vehicles certainly looks promising.
Resources: Businessinsider.com, CNN.com, Foxbusiness.com
Get the Workbook for this article!Workbook contains: Article, Reading Comprehension, Critical Thinking Questions, Vocabulary in Context (+ answers), Multiple Choice Quiz (+ answers), Parts of Speech Quiz (+ answers), Vocabulary Game (+ answers)
Learn Keywords in this Article
- bunbunxinyi6 daysIn the future, everyone might want to drive a flying car... how cool!
- ayahoya29 daysIf that comes out publicly, that would be sold until it's out of stock in a few seconds! Even though it was sort of shaky, it surely looks promising
- I want one when it is at a affordable price!
- It would probably cost a lot though.
- Wow! That would be so cool!
- hashtagswifty54about 1 monthCOOL!
- tessiexoxo2 monthsThis has its pros and cons, it could be good for getting to places but there is the chance they could crash and fall on to somebody below, causing d3ath or severe injuries to an innocent person, the people in the cars would also have severe injuries.
- thekingb2 monthsI wish when I grow up I will have that car and the X3 bro that is so cool I will be a billionaire and get that car.
- emmalowe2 monthsSO COOL!!!
- serene_euphoria3 monthsI WANT ONE!