What Positive Impact Will You Make On GivingTuesday?
Listen to Article
Black Friday and Cyber Monday are all about finding the best deals on holiday gifts for friends and family members. But GivingTuesday, which will be observed on November 29, 2022, has a more altruistic purpose. "The Global Day of Giving" encourages people to do good by helping those in need.
GivingTuesday was started in 2012 by Henry Timms at the 92nd Street Y in New York. It was an instant success. Over $10 million was donated to charities worldwide in a single day. Things have only improved since. In 2021, the movement helped raise an astounding $2.7 billion for worthy causes. Even better, about 35 million US residents participated in GivingTuesday in various ways.
While giving money certainly helps, there are many other ways to observe GivingTuesday. Help an elderly neighbor or donate your gently-used clothing and toys to local shelters. Better still, ask your friends to help you with a service project close to your heart. You can also select something from the 50 Acts of Kindness suggested on the GivingTuesday website.
What are you going to do to make a positive difference in your community on GivingTuesday — and every other day? Let us know by adding your comments below!
Get the Workbook for this article!Workbook contains: Article, Reading Comprehension, Critical Thinking Questions, Vocabulary in Context (+ answers), Multiple Choice Quiz (+ answers), Parts of Speech Quiz (+ answers), Vocabulary Game (+ answers)
Learn Keywords in this Article
- prettygirl1024 monthsI love giving Tuesday!! We are going to start giving more money to st. Jude St. Jude has been a very inportent thing to us since my sister was diagnosed with a heart disease.
- livencountry3 monthsWhat? Your sister had a heart disease? Oh my, I'll keep her and you'll family In my prayers to help her get better.
- rac_spud_22124 monthsMy school had giving tuesday on nov 24
- nhbbesties4 monthsthis is very nice LOVE for GIVINGTUESAY
- cjlbesties4 monthsLove giving Tuesday!
- nhbbesties4 months:D WOW SO KIND
- spacechicken4 monthssoo kind
- ccas35304 monthsThat's really nice
- Ms. Laska4 monthsI not know and this is very cool
- lujikovi-1652380887424 monthsI never knew there was such a thing as GivingTuesday
- lujikovi-1652380887424 months#GivingTuesday
- xmelodyx4 monthsI'm gonna try and make world peace, for were I live at least