Newly-Found T. Rex Ancestor Had Spiked Horns Around Its Eyes
Listen to Article
The Tyrannosaurus rex (T. rex) was one of the most ferocious dinosaurs that roamed Earth in the very late Cretaceous period — about 66 million years ago. Over the years, scientists have collected substantial information on the tiny-armed reptile itself. However, very little is known about how the vicious predator evolved. Now paleontologists at the Badlands Dinosaur Museum in North Dakota believe they may have found an essential missing link to the T. rex's lineage.
Museum crew member Jack Wilson first stumbled upon the dinosaur's nostril sticking out from a cliff in northeastern Montana in 2017. The team was easily able to unearth an upper jaw bone and several broken vertebrae. But removing the rest of the fossils proved challenging. They were buried under 26 feet (8 meters) of solid rock. It was not until 2021 that the scientists were able to extract all the preserved remains, including a partial skull.
But the effort was well worth it. The fossils were those of a new dinosaur species that roamed Earth over 76 million years ago. The creature, named Daspletosaurus wilsoni (D. wilsoni) or "Wilson's frightful reptile," had mixed features. The spiked horns around its eyes were similar to those found in more primitive Tyrannosauruses. However, the dinosaur's tall eye socket and air pockets in the skull resembled those found in later Tyrannosauruses such as the T. rex. This led the scientists to conclude that the D. wilsoni was a "halfway point" or the "missing link"' between older and younger Tyrannosaur species.
Resources: cosmosmagazine.com, Livescience.com, phys.com, popularscience.com, phys.com
Get the Workbook for this article!Workbook contains: Article, Reading Comprehension, Critical Thinking Questions, Vocabulary in Context (+ answers), Multiple Choice Quiz (+ answers), Parts of Speech Quiz (+ answers), Vocabulary Game (+ answers)
Learn Keywords in this Article
- dinogianna5 monthsI love dinosaurs s much
- crowfl00fs5 monthsi think dinosuars are cool, but then again, if they where still alive, they would have k1lled a lot of poeple.
- bubachubz5 monthstrue dat
- summer_beach5 monthsI love dinosaurs! This is so cool!
- leoisalive72835 monthsThis thing existed before the dinosaur?
- jonaryrios5 monthsdinosaurs i like them
- hjgaddy5 monthsbest bible study article ever
- ds0475 monthsI love dinosaurs like if you do too. 👇
- charliehuizenga5 monthsno they are not coming back there instinct it is impossible
- lucia33335 monthshi brooklyn the story is fun really
- peytonwalker5 monthswow this is exstordnary! i cant wait to see what the finder next !!