President Joe Biden Signs Bipartisan Gun Safety Bill Into Law
Listen to Article
President Joe Biden signed the Bipartisan Safer Communities Act into law on June 25, 2022. The legislation aims to stop dangerous people from obtaining firearms and to provide much-needed funds to improve the nation's mental health system. It is the most significant gun control regulation approved by the US Congress since the now-expired Federal Assault Weapons Ban of 1994.
The law addresses several areas of concern, including the "boyfriend loophole." Under current federal law, those convicted of domestic violence are prohibited from purchasing a firearm only if they are living with, married to, or have a child with their partner. The new provision will prevent a person found guilty of abusing a current or former dating partner from buying a gun. It also calls for more in-depth background checks on gun buyers between the ages of 18 and 21.
States will also receive funding to create crisis intervention programs. The "red flag" law will enable law enforcement officers to petition the court to confiscate guns from individuals believed to be a threat to themselves or others. An additional $15 billion will be spent on improving mental health services and increasing security in schools.
The legislation falls short of the stringent gun control measures — such as assault weapon bans and magazine capacity restrictions — President Biden had hoped for. But both lawmakers and gun safety advocates agree that the bipartisan agreement is a step in the right direction toward saving innocent lives.
Resources: Whitehouse.gov, CNN.com, politico.com, NPR.com, Independent.Co.UK
Get the Workbook for this article!Workbook contains: Article, Reading Comprehension, Critical Thinking Questions, Vocabulary in Context (+ answers), Multiple Choice Quiz (+ answers), Parts of Speech Quiz (+ answers), Vocabulary Game (+ answers)
Learn Keywords in this Article
- dior_queen7 monthsThis is the best so people don't lose their family to some person !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- skane5 monthsTotally!
- deafgirlhistory7 monthsyes! Agreed!
- noloball503 monthsagreed
- wepnep8 monthsWow,that's at least a good decision by Biden..
- majestic_tiger18 monthsyay thats awesome
- triste9 monthsThat's FABULOUS!!
- 24kgold9 monthsI had no idea that he signed that yet
- roseylakey10 monthsI think this a very good thing because this is a good thing and we can all be safe
- lil_tone50110 monthsI think this is a good thing. I also want to say how I think some people got things a little wrong. (Please correct me if I got something wrong) The point of the bill he signed is to make restrictions of like big assault weapons and other fires arms also the size of its magazine in the gun. It is not banning guns for in the constitution people have a right to own a weapon to protect themselves and maybe there family. So if they were to ban guns they would need to make a whole amendment. I think this can be a seed for better safety when it comes to fire arms.
- lilymbb10 monthsWhy🤦🤦?? People should be able to buy guns so the can portect there family's or their selfs .For example: what if someone broke into your home and tried to hurt you family or you. Yay shouer you could go ahead and call the cops but what if they try to hurt you or kill you then you have a way to portect your self with out getting hurt!
- willgoat67 monthsIt doesn't matter you should never uses guns
- chin98638 monthsNo its not , people should be able to purchase guns. Some people because people are dangerous some are not. I agree and disagree because . Guns are a weapon for protection and harm and some people use them for less protection of themselves and more unnecessary harm of others . That's why People should not be offered guns lets look for more resources not always a gun
- milkfanforever9 monthsI agree
- animeboss10 monthsI agree
- suriya10 monthsBut thing is people…stay strong, don’t ever get scared.Its okay to get scared but just know that if anything happens for every 1 bead person there’s a ga-zillion good people!😁
- cabingirl1011 monthsThank God for this, we needed this change, but I know people think this isn't huge, but I do, and it will help while we keep putting 1 foot in front of the other.✌❤
- chin98638 monthsIts not huge its tiny but its still something but there can and have to be done more if we wanna ensure safety and quickly before more people loose lives unfairly !!