Saudi Arabia's New Skyscraper Will Be Big Enough To Hold 20 Empire State Buildings!
Listen to Article
The seven monarchies of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) are known for their mega projects. Dubai, the UAE's largest and most populous emirate, is home to the world's tallest building, biggest mall, and largest man-made island. Now, Saudi Arabia has announced plans to build the "World's Largest Inner City Building" in the capital city of Riyadh.
The Mukaab, or "Cube" in Arabic, was unveiled on February 16, 2023. When complete, the 1,312 feet (400 meters) tall structure will be Riyadh's highest building. With sides as long as it is tall, the Mukaab will have over 22 million square feet (2,043,866 sq. m) of floor space. This is enough to fit 20 Empire State Buildings!
The building's sparkling gold exterior will be patterned with overlapping triangles. A spiral tower will stand at the center of the cube structure. It will be surrounded by a mix of residences, hotels, retail shops, office space, and open-air parks.
The Mukaab will be the centerpiece of a new downtown area planned for Riyadh. The development also includes thousands of homes and over 80 entertainment venues. A technology and design university is also in the works. The entire project is expected to be completed in 2030.
The Mukaab is just one of several ambitious projects announced by Saudi Arabia. In 2022, the government revealed plans to build "The Line." The $725 billion futuristic city is designed around nature, without cars and roads! Saudi officials hope the new developments will help diversify the country's oil-dependent economy. The futuristic projects will also attract tourists from around the world.
Resources: NewAtlas.com, Forbes.com.au, allthatsinteresting.com
Get the Workbook for this article!Workbook contains: Article, Reading Comprehension, Critical Thinking Questions, Vocabulary in Context (+ answers), Multiple Choice Quiz (+ answers), Parts of Speech Quiz (+ answers), Vocabulary Game (+ answers)
Learn Keywords in this Article
- thekingb5 daysI wish I lived in that building and would be the most famous soccer player I would be a Billionaire.
- adeezreez6 daysHas the UAE and that area of the world been flexing on us for years?
- leoisalive72836 daysAlright um hold on ill brb. *searches flights to saudi arabia*
- leoisalive7283about 16 hoursEdit: I just found about 5 flights to saudi arabia
- yo its in 2030
- dogecoine6 daysI've heard that Saudi Arabia is also building the new tallest building in the world and a whole new futuristic city in the Red Sea. Now this!?! It's crazy!!
- lethimcook6 daysNah bro 20 empire state buildings is beyond wild
- i know it crazzzzzzyyyy
- thegreates7 daysIm going 2 start 2 pack my bags right now!!
- to bad cuz it will be out in 2030
- noahm27 daysthat is so cool 20 empire state buildings. that is crazy, that will take 10 years most likely.
- cheetoking7 daysthat's so interesting but why a city in a building?
- adeezreez6 daysActually tho.You are not wrong.It ain't Star Wars.
- 319233students7 daysinsanely huge
- fzaz20107 daysLove it!