President Biden And First Lady Host Easter Egg Roll At The White House
Listen to Article
On April 10, 2023, close to 30,000 guests, selected via an online lottery, attended the White House Easter Egg Roll. The fun event was divided into nine, two-hour-long sessions to accommodate the large number of guests. It included various exciting activities as well as appearances by popular costumed characters and celebrities.
The first group of kids and families arrived at the White House South Lawn at 7:00 am EST. Following a welcome speech from the president, the kids rushed to find some of the nearly 50,000 colorful eggs scattered around the garden. They then awaited the president's whistle to roll eggs down the marked lanes with long, wooden spoons.
After the egg roll, families explored the various activities planned for the day. In keeping with this year's theme, "EGGucation," the South Lawn was transformed into a "school community." Young guests could listen to a story at the Reading Nook or learn to build robots. Budding chefs could try their cooking skills at a cafe or visit a "farm" to see how things grow. There was also a talent show station and a physical activity zone, complete with an obstacle course. Live music played by military bands and popular costumed characters like Winnie the Pooh and Tigger added to the festivities.
The Easter Egg Roll is believed to have started in the early 1870s. It initially took place on the grounds of the US Capitol. But the popular event caused a lot of damage to the perfectly-terraced lawns. In 1876, US lawmakers passed a law prohibiting the public use of the Capitol grounds for the fun event. Three years later, President Rutherford B. Hayes decided to host the egg roll on the South Lawn, and a cherished tradition was born.
Resources: WhiteHouse.gov, CNN.com, USAToday.com
Get the Workbook for this article!Workbook contains: Article, Reading Comprehension, Critical Thinking Questions, Vocabulary in Context (+ answers), Multiple Choice Quiz (+ answers), Parts of Speech Quiz (+ answers), Vocabulary Game (+ answers)
Learn Keywords in this Article
- athenathewise9 dayslook's great!
- bling_bling18 daysso fun
- bunnyamberabout 1 monthIt looks great but long to go there and of the egg is broken does that person will lose the rolling egg race?
- teamfosterkeefeabout 1 monthsounds fun but it would take a long time to get there
- newsmpabout 1 monthInteresting?!
- cycloneboyabout 1 monthI wish I had gone.....But still, sounds pretty fun
- charliehuizengaabout 1 monthsame
- ajgamerabout 1 monthI don't celebrate easter I celebrate recurstion Sunday The Day Jesus rose
- iceyqueenabout 1 monthWow! That is a lot of eggs! I wish I could have gone!
- devyanshabout 1 monthThat is cool
- fabulouslyabout 1 monthOmg so with I could've been there!!!🙂
- charlottebetrixabout 1 monthWow that sounds super fun. Sometimes I think that some people forget that the president and first lady (not just Mr. & Mrs. Biden, but pretty much all of the other presidents and first ladies) are still real people who enjoy watching kids roll eggs. :)