From Egg Hunts To Processions: How Easter Is Observed Worldwide
Listen to Article
On April 9, 2023, Christians around the world will observe Easter. The holiday is the oldest and most significant of all Christian festivals. It commemorates the resurrection of Jesus Christ. Many adults mark the event by attending special church services. For kids in the US, Easter means egg hunts, parades, and the Easter Bunny. But not everyone celebrates the holiday the same way. Here are a few fun customs you may be tempted to adopt.
On Holy Saturday, the residents of Corfu, Greece, toss water-filled clay jugs called "botides" onto the streets. The tradition, which welcomes spring, is believed to have been inspired by the Italians. They throw out old dishes on New Year's Eve to indicate they are ready for a fresh start.
In Australia, kids enjoy delicious bilby-shaped chocolates during Easter. The marsupials were once found across the country. But their population has been decimated by feral cats and foxes.
Rose-Marie Dusting, a nine-year-old from Queensland, Australia, first raised awareness of the animals' plight in 1968. Her story, "Billy the Aussie Easter Bilby," gained nationwide attention after it was published as a children's book in 1979. In 1991, the Foundation for Rabbit-Free Australia pushed to replace Easter bunnies with bilbies. Many candy companies now make chocolate bilbies. They donate a portion of the sales to help save the endangered animals.
On Easter Sunday, hundreds of people, dressed in 15th-century clothing, escort a 30-foot-tall (9-meter) antique cart filled with fireworks to the Florence Cathedral. The archbishop of Florence sets off the colorful display during Easter mass by lighting a fuse attached to the cart. The fun tradition is known as "Scoppio del Carro," or "explosion of the cart." It is believed to ensure a good harvest in the upcoming year.
Resources: Wikipedia.org, News18.com, theculturetrip.com
Get the Workbook for this article!Workbook contains: Article, Reading Comprehension, Critical Thinking Questions, Vocabulary in Context (+ answers), Multiple Choice Quiz (+ answers), Parts of Speech Quiz (+ answers), Vocabulary Game (+ answers)
Learn Keywords in this Article
- iceyqueenabout 1 monthThere are so many ways of celebrating easter!
- victoria_wiseabout 1 monthWho had a great easter this year? I did!
- liametabout 1 monthi did too
- cylowolubotaabout 1 monthok thats cool
- xflame_throwerxabout 1 monthIt’s cool to think that you may celebrate differently then others around the world, fairly shocking, but cool! 😁
- rosie23about 1 monthIt's incredible how the same holiday is celebrated differently worldwide.
- imcelicialolabout 2 monthsHappy late easter!
- xflame_throwerxabout 1 monthYea happy late Easter :]
- gordoam30about 2 monthseaster is fun
- cj_5678about 2 months#I love to see all the culture of the world an how they celebrate the resurection of Jesus Christ it is such a wonderful thing
- jleem83about 2 monthsHappy Late Easter! These countries have UNIQUE ways to celebrate Easter!!
- 1artemis1about 2 months#EasterHunt