Coming Soon - Harry Potter's Invisibility Cloak

244 Words 2-Minute Listen

Life in Harry Potter land certainly became more exciting the day he received that package with the invisibility cloak from Dumbledore. If scientists in Berkeley, California are to be believed - our lives may become as exciting soon!

Researchers at the University of California in Berkeley recently announced, that they were a step closer to developing materials that can make people wearing them 'invisible'.

In fact two teams, both reporting to researcher Xiang Zhang , have developed two different materials made of metametals - which are artificial structures that have a smaller wavelength than that of light. This gives the material unusual properties, allowing them to 'bend' light waves.

That means that the light will go around these materials instead of through them - hence, if the material is covering an object it will be 'invisible'.

One team used nanometer (a billionth of a meter) scale stacks of silver and magnesium fluoride to create a structure that resembles a 'fishnet'. The other team used nanowires made of silver.

However, before you get all excited - both teams stress that this is just the beginning and the samples created are very very very tiny ! Also both materials are made from metals which are very fragile - to get to the size and flexibility of a fully wearable cloak will take a few more years. But after that, . . . . . . . . . .the possibilities are endless. Pretty exciting stuff isn't it?

Source: BBCNews.com, National Geographic.com

• shandyWednesday, August 29, 2018 at 5:19 pm
    OMG! I LOVE the Harry Potter moves they are my favorite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • sashaWednesday, January 24, 2018 at 6:45 am
      so not true. haha
      • OdinTuesday, May 9, 2017 at 4:24 pm
        That's Pretty Cool, But Then Again. If It DID Get In The Wrong Person's Hands It Could Be A Big, And Dangerous Problem. Not Just For Say America, Uk (United Kingdom), Great Britain, Asia, ETC. It Could Be The Terrorist's Next Big Thing To Get To Help Complete Their "Hit List." Although This Could Be Fixed If You Had To Have Say, A License To Own It And Have Proof Of All Valid Credentials. (So Can't Be Bought Before Shipped, Ordered, ETC)
      • dogofan101
        dogofan101Monday, March 13, 2017 at 6:23 am
        cool
        • borntoswim19
          borntoswim19Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 6:53 pm
          I can't wait! Ever since I started reading Harry Potter I've always wanted an invisibility cloak!!!!!
          • potterTuesday, February 7, 2017 at 10:26 am
            cool
            • LolTuesday, July 26, 2016 at 6:42 pm
              If I had one of those, I could play iPad when no one knew. I would also keep it private (they are rare, after all
              • HARRY GRANGERFriday, May 6, 2016 at 11:03 am
                I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!! WOW, I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS FOR CENTURIES!!!!
                • wildercraftWednesday, May 4, 2016 at 5:19 pm
                  I so want one its so cool I would be the KING AT HIDE N SEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : )
                  • WindleapTuesday, May 3, 2016 at 6:31 pm
                    uh, i would like to sneak out & watch tv but then you would have to cover the tv 2 right?