Pineberry - The New Exotic Fruit?
Listen to Article
What looks like a strawberry covered with white chocolate, but smells and tastes like a pineapple? A Pineberry of course! The fruit that starts off green, turns pale, as it ripens. Measuring less than an inch, pineberries are ready to eat when they are completely white and studded with red seeds.
This yummy-looking fruit that has the same genetic makeup as a strawberry, is native to South America, where it grew in the wild and almost disappeared, totally unnoticed.
Luckily for us, it was rescued from extinction by farmers in Netherlands, about seven years ago. Now grown in greenhouses, pineberries are scheduled to be sold in supermarkets this spring and summer.
However, those of us living in the USA are out of luck, at least this year. For this exotic-looking fruit, will only be available in Britain, where it will retail for $4.00 to $5.00 for a 1/4lb. We sure would pay up to try one, wouldn't you?
- 4jhillover 8 years😦I am amazed
- athena4747over 8 yearsMmmm..I have long since been a fan of strawberries and pineappples, yet I never saw this coming.
- athena4747over 8 yearsI would certainly pay to eat one of those.
- puglover67over 8 yearsWhoa that's cool!
- 4804119205over 8 yearsTHEY LOOK NASTY
- happypug12over 8 yearsI'll pay to try one. Yumm!
- finesseover 8 yearsi love
- moonboom6over 8 yearsi wish i was on a plane to Great Britain because that would make a good berry for my grandma and ill name it Pineberry Suprise!
- bibliophileover 8 yearsThe word pineberry reminds me of pinkberry(the yummy fro-yo company/store) :D
- peacheslarueover 8 yearsThose look yummy!
- turtlenicoleover 8 yearscool! It's a new strawberry breed with pineapple genetics! I hope I get to try it! I heard its very rare