Video Of The Week - Are Lions Losing Their Edge?
Listen to Article
Lions have been called the 'King of Beasts' for centuries and for good reason too - Not only are they majestic looking, but also, at the top of the food chain. Granted, it is the males that are awarded this designation, but female lions are no slouches either. After all, they are the ones that do all the hunting.
Lately, however, it seems as though these mighty beasts are losing their edge. Just a week ago, there was evidence of a tiny porcupine defeating a pride of 17 wild cats. Now, there is footage of them being outsmarted by a baby elephant.
The amazing video of the struggle was captured at the Norman Carr Safaris Chinzombo Camp in Zambia, earlier this month, by a group of tourists on a game drive. As they were going through the reserve, they noticed a baby elephant that appeared to have been separated from its herd, being confronted by 14 aggressive female lions.
The onlookers, which included journalist, Jesse Nash, U.K. naturalist Steve Baker, and New York professor, Dan Christoffel, as well as some experienced safari guides were all confident that this would be the poor elephant's last day. But where there is a will, there is a way - the pachyderm who the group named Hercules, never gave up even when it had three lionesses on its back - and after some smart thinking, was finally able to get rid of the ferocious predators!
Learn Keywords in this Article
- summer_beach8 monthsWOW. Don't think of this as something sad, think of it as a role in nature, it was going to happen. Plus it is not much different then when you eat any kind of meat. 🦁🥩
- ponygirl118 monthsWow !.that's nature for ya🦁🐘
- x_goddess_xalmost 2 yearsWow
- dinobasketball7about 2 yearswow! even though elephants are really smart
- wolfy_blueabout 2 yearsthis artical makes sence, elephants are one of the smartest animals in the world but its kinda sad.
- There my fav animal
- Im doing in essay on elephants
- seaqueen457over 2 yearsThats sad I love lions but thats sad😫😫🥺🥺
- Me too. But poor elephant
- gold3nglareover 2 yearsPoor elephant.
- pusheen_twtover 2 yearsSo sad!😢😥