Adorable Pooch Fired From Police Force For Being Too Friendly Lands A Better Job

CCSS 247 Words 2-Minute Listen
Photo Credit: Governor of Queenland/Instagram

When six-week-old Gavel arrived at the Government House, the official residence of the Governor of Queensland, in April 2016, everyone thought it would be for just a short period. The adorable purebred German Shepherd was, after all, being trained to become a Queensland Police Service (QPS) dog to help officials chase down criminals. Given that five members of his extended family are currently in the force, there was little doubt of his success.

Photo Credit: Governor of Queenland/Instagram

However, just weeks into the puppy’s 16-week-long training, the enforcement agency decided he was too sociable to be a crime fighter and “fired” him. But as it turned out, Gavel was destined for bigger things. For when Paul de Jersey, the governor of Queensland, heard about the situation, he instantly “hired” the friendly pup to be the state’s first Vice-Regal dog (VRD).

Photo Credit: Governor of Queensland/Instagram

The newly created position, for which Gavel had to sign a special contract, is perfect for the friendly dog. His duties include welcoming tour groups and hobnobbing with famous guests alongside the governor and his wife at official functions. When on duty, the VRD sports a custom-made Government House coat emblazoned with the Governor's Personal Standard, the St Edward's Crown, and the brolga, the official bird emblem of Queensland!

Photo Credit: Government House Queensland/Facebook

During his free time, Gavel, whose tale has gone viral on social media, solicits belly rubs from adoring staff members and explores the Government House’s 10 acres of bushland! Sounds like the perfect dog’s life to us!

Resources: telegraph.co.uk,travelandleisure.com, smh.com.au

• thundershot1234
    thundershot1234Thursday, October 1, 2020 at 10:31 am
    He gets a job to after hes fired
    • sweetcheese
      sweetcheeseTuesday, August 18, 2020 at 5:50 pm
      that is sad that he was fired but he is really adorable
      • 20020996
        20020996Monday, August 17, 2020 at 7:59 am
        Omg he's so cute and I understand why he was fired ngl... but I'm kinda happy bc he could've gotten hurt and that would've killed me lol
        • galaxystars123
          galaxystars123Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 11:05 am
          W.O.W! who would want 2 fire this puppy?! follow if u think so 2!
          • animereina2020
            animereina2020Thursday, May 7, 2020 at 10:22 am
            I am happy that Gavel gotten a better job❤ I think friendly dogs are cool😊 I think it was just cruel to fire a dog just because it was friendly. I understand that they wanted a dog that could chase after criminals... but still. Gavel has his own destiny to fulfill💕🐕
            • bsc
              bscThursday, May 7, 2020 at 9:51 am
              Aw! SOO cute!!!
              • meisdancer
                meisdancerThursday, May 7, 2020 at 9:22 am
                I love dogs! I'm fuming that the police fired him but he got another job as a VRD.
                • zu0113
                  zu0113Thursday, April 2, 2020 at 10:12 am
                  I am so mad at the police who fired him! Friendly dogs are awesome!
                  • paris_lover15
                    paris_lover15Monday, March 30, 2020 at 2:44 pm
                    thats sad
                    • sophie16
                      sophie16Friday, March 20, 2020 at 5:05 pm
                      I am angry at the police people that fired him. Follow me if you agree.