Saudi Arabia's New Skyscraper Will Be Big Enough To Hold 20 Empire State Buildings!
Listen to Article
The seven monarchies of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) are known for their mega projects. Dubai, the UAE's largest and most populous emirate, is home to the world's tallest building, biggest mall, and largest man-made island. Now, Saudi Arabia has announced plans to build the "World's Largest Inner City Building" in the capital city of Riyadh.
The Mukaab, or "Cube" in Arabic, was unveiled on February 16, 2023. When complete, the 1,312 feet (400 meters) tall structure will be Riyadh's highest building. With sides as long as it is tall, the Mukaab will have over 22 million square feet (2,043,866 sq. m) of floor space. This is enough to fit 20 Empire State Buildings!
The building's sparkling gold exterior will be patterned with overlapping triangles. A spiral tower will stand at the center of the cube structure. It will be surrounded by a mix of residences, hotels, retail shops, office space, and open-air parks.
The Mukaab will be the centerpiece of a new downtown area planned for Riyadh. The development also includes thousands of homes and over 80 entertainment venues. A technology and design university is also in the works. The entire project is expected to be completed in 2030.
The Mukaab is just one of several ambitious projects announced by Saudi Arabia. In 2022, the government revealed plans to build "The Line." The $725 billion futuristic city is designed around nature, without cars and roads! Saudi officials hope the new developments will help diversify the country's oil-dependent economy. The futuristic projects will also attract tourists from around the world.
Resources: NewAtlas.com, Forbes.com.au, allthatsinteresting.com
Get the Workbook for this article!Workbook contains: Article, Reading Comprehension, Critical Thinking Questions, Vocabulary in Context (+ answers), Multiple Choice Quiz (+ answers), Parts of Speech Quiz (+ answers), Vocabulary Game (+ answers)
Learn Keywords in this Article
- charlottebetrix4 daysWow that's going to be huge
- pokemike6 daysI so want to go here like going to mars in a building even though it is a hologram it would be epic
- btsarmyfan6 daysI wish I lived there that would be so funn😭😭😭
- grass16 daysThis is strait out of a Sci-Fi movie
- max_is_the_best6 daysspending to much money
- iheartpuppiesj6 daysWow! Won’t all this affect climate change though?
- iheartpuppiesj7 daysI dunno like it’s cool and all, but I don’t think it’s worth the money. Also, that will really affect climate change!🙁
- adroit_avimimus3 daysI know! The glass will reflect heat to our surface :(
- ardrajz128 daysToo bad it will be done in 2030
- ardrajz128 daysAmazing
- virgo20238 dayswow!!! so cool!!!