America's Iconic Oreo Cookie Turns 100!
Listen to Article
Who hasn't enjoyed an Oreo? That delicious sandwich cookie that you either dunk in milk whole or savor by peeling off layer after layer. Well believe it or not, you are not the first to appreciate its amazing taste and nor, were your parents, because this amazing cookie which still remains our favorite snack, is 100 years old today!
First introduced to the world by Manhattan's Chelsea Market Bakery on March 6th, 1912, the cookie was originally sold in bulk tins for a mere $0.30 a pound. Today, the scrumptious snack is available in over 100 countries all around the world.
Kraft Foods Inc. the company that manufactures it now, estimates that over 491 billion of these delicious nuggets have been sold since 1912, making Oreos the best selling cookie brand of the 21st Century!
What's even more surprising is that despite the introduction of new 'modern' versions like mint, chocolate covered, lemon and even green tea (In China), it is the original - two chocolate wafers on the outside and cream on the inside, that remains a steadfast favorite, among both young and old.
So how do people savor their Oreos? According to Kraft Foods Inc., over 50 percent perform the classic 'Twist, Lick & Dunk' ritual, with women doing it more so than men, who seem to prefer just gobbling down the entire cookie in one piece. Either way, it is delicious!
So what are you waiting for? Let's celebrate this day by grabbing some Oreo's - classic or the special 100th anniversary versions, a glass of milk, and 'Twist, Lick & Dunk'! Happy Birthday Oreo - Here's to another 100 years!
Learn Keywords in this Article
- bloxburgboy12 monthsi love oreos. i love it, love it, love it.
- I love oreos! 🎈🎈 happy birthday lil oreo!
- I like to peel the cream inside with my teeth then savor the chocolatey goodness!
- Who knew cookies could have birthdays! Happy 100th birthday oreo!
- wolfy_bluealmost 2 yearsDelicious!
- dinobasketball7about 2 yearscool!!!!!!
- searchlightabout 2 yearsYUM ! I love oreos!
- bscabout 2 yearsYum, oreos!
- gold3nglareover 2 yearsI love Oreos! But I like chips ahoy better.
- ceebeeover 2 yearsSo cool! 😃